Looking for Opinions on Electric Downriggers

I'm starting to look at downriggers for my new ride...Electric is my choice as I fish alot on my own. Looking for opinions and experiences from other members here. I started to read some reviews on Canon MAG 10HS riggers and they are not very good!! Here's 2 of the many reviews:

jerky motion.

If this downrigger bucks any harder it's going to rip the bolts out of the gunnels.

I phoned a Cannon service center in new York and he says nothing can be done because the motor is made in Asia some place,

What happend?? I used to have Cannon's i liked but I'd never buy another one."

"Finally sold my old Cannons that were made in Muskegon Mi. and bought new ones.

There is no way I can get used to dealing with these new downriggers.

Why couldn't they make them easy to use like the old ones.?

The switch is very jumpy .

I find them impossible to control and I've used Cannon's for many years.

I would not make the same decision to buy these mag 10's again."

I've read a few other threads on downriggers and it looks like a lot of the OFC members like Scotty....is there a particular model??

Thanks...

Steve

Guest gbfisher

Do not buy WALKER. :whistling:

Anything else is good. Cannon. Big john. Scotty(which I use) or Vector which are bullet proof.

Take your pick.

Guest gbfisher

Get ones with auto stop, you won't regret it. I believe Cannon has that feature.

Scotty has auto stop for the stackers as well as the ball but cannons are faster bringing in the ball if you can't wait the 2 or 3 extra seconds it takes with the others. :sarcasm:

Personally after fishing Walkers, Canons and Bigjon's while chartering on Lake Ontario for many years I liked the Bigjon Captains Pak riggers the best. The Canons are a pain to retrieve the ball even with their retrieval system, the Walkers were OK but the Bigjons were the best in my opinion. The ability to lift the arm and swing the ball in to you made resetting lines a breeze, plus they had auto stop. Another bonus is the rodholders pivot bac toward you making it easier to get the rod out of the holder while a 30# King is ripping off line!! :D

Check them out they are a very nice rigger.

Bigjon Captains Pak

Thanks guys.....any preferences on models of Scotty with auto stop??

All of Scotty electrics have the auto stop, all tilt up and with the swivel base, it doesn't get much better. And the nice thing, they're made in Canada so you support our industry.

Scotty used to give the dealers a box of parts. When the switches gave me problems the dealer threw me 2 newer style ones, no charge. Might be worth asking the dealers how long it will take to get you back on the water if something goes wrong with them. I like the scotty.

My vote is for the Scotty Pro Pack 1116's, have had a pair for several years. Got everything you need right outta the box, I really like and find the 60" telescoping rigger arm. Putting new ones on the Ranger.

The other reason why I'm a big fan of Scotty riggers is #1 they're Canadian made, the no power down, fully capable of handling the heavy weights with speed we're now using on Lake Ontario to fish the depths we're now fishing ex: 20# ball retrieved @ 185 feet/min with an amp draw of 11, if you're using the more common 10# balls you'd be looking at 222 feet/min with an amp draw of 6. The other thing I like about the Scotty riggers is that should you ever require any replacement parts and unable to make it to the locale tackle shop or they don't carry Scotty's, Canadian Tire does and there's at least one in every town/city in Canada.

Hope this helps, any questions just ask.

Cheers,

G

Edited by Gman

My vote is for the Scotty Pro Pack 1116's, have had a pair for several years. Got everything you need right outta the box, I really like and find the 60" telescoping rigger arm. Putting new ones on the Ranger.

The other reason why I'm a big fan of Scotty riggers is #1 they're Canadian made, the no power down, fully capable of handling the heavy weights with speed we're now using on Lake Ontario to fish the depths we're now fishing ex: 20# ball retrieved @ 185 feet/min with an amp draw of 11, if you're using the more common 10# balls you'd be looking at 222 feet/min with an amp draw of 6. The other thing I like about the Scotty riggers is that should you ever require any replacement parts and unable to make it to the locale tackle shop or they don't carry Scotty's, Canadian Tire does and there's at least one in every town/city in Canada.

Hope this helps, any questions just ask.

Cheers,

G

Thanks for the info G

Much appreciated!!

Edited by TroutnMuskieHunter