Flyins/Minnows/Minnow Traps

fisherman7

Everytime I go on a fly-in, I bring a minnow trap, bait it with bread, place it in the shallows, bottom of rapids, beaver huts, and I have yet to catch anything. I'm going to Magaskin this August with my son. Does anyone have advice on how to catch minnows or preferably suckers?

Everytime I go on a fly-in, I bring a minnow trap, bait it with bread, place it in the shallows, bottom of rapids, beaver huts, and I have yet to catch anything. I'm going to Magaskin this August with my son. Does anyone have advice on how to catch minnows or preferably suckers?

I usually did the exact same thing you mentioned. Seems to work great for me. I've even succesfully used white styrofoam piece to imitate bread.

when we fly in, live bait isn't needed or worth the trouble,

DITTO......but I'm about to leave in a few minutes to get TRY to dip some minnow and go perch fishing on Erie...we can't buy emerald shiners in NYS because our DEC is STUPID.

I dunno guys. Over the years I've fished a lot of untouched waters in the far north.

Specifically referring to walleye's here, yes, you'll catch lots without bait. Sometimes you'll catch them hand over fist.

Even on the most virgin waters you'll still catch substantially more fish by tipping your jig with a worm or minnow though. Especially when you're not catching them hand over fist.

IMO you're selling your success short by not bringing at least a flat of worms along.

Had better luck with the minnow traps early in the season - springtime. As the water warms up I tend to rely more on the small dip nets. Hit the beaver lodges/brush piles around the lake and look for the biggest underwater brush piles. Bread, cereal and such will chum them in. Good idea to always put a decent sized rock in the middle of the net too. That way it sinks down better and allows more minnows to come in on top to get the bait.