Forest Fire

anders

I love forest fires...this one is the biggest in our area since the big one in White River and Dubreuilville quite some time ago. Looks like its going to be bear!

Link Here

I'm headed up to Windermere later this week, I believe someone else from the site was going at the same time. Keep us updated from your local perspective. No power in Chapleau and could be a while before its restored. They say it originated 62 km east of Wawa on 101, very close to Prairie Bee correct??

I love forest fires...this one is the biggest in our area since the big one in White River and Dubreuilville quite some time ago. Looks like its going to be bear!

Sorry anders, at best, a forest fire is an inconvenience to anyone living in the area, local businesses and people traveling through the area. At worst, it'll wipe out peoples' homes, cottages and businesses, injure and kill folks, put the lives of people working to fight those fires in jeopardy, add a healthy expense to everyone's tax bill and how much wildlife will die? Maybe I just didn't understand your post.....

My Niece is a volunteer Fire fighter with Timmins. She has gone out for a couple of stints to help control the fire, it is some of the scariest moments she has had fighting fires. She said she could only imagine what people went through during the war with the water bomber wizzing by. You run for cover but there is nothing to protect you from the torment of water that comes down. You get flames under control in an area only to see the wind change direction, send a spark back to where you once were and in a split second the flames are back again. Only now you are surrounded because you and the rest of the crew pushed forward. Hoping the water bomber is going to save your arse.

She is looking forward to going back to her full time job - Air paramedic out of Moosenee!

I've had the displeasure of eating smoke for a couple of summers killing hot spots from small bush fires up north with shovel and piss can. I could not imagine how terrifying being in the path of a major fire, or worse, a fire storm would be. I was told stories of the 1916 Cochrane firestorm by some of the old timers. A bunch of towns destroyed, 200 odd souls lost.

Not sure where this post is going but keep in mind that the last 50 odd years of successful fire suppression is, and will, lead to bigger and more damaging fires going forward. Fires are a natural part of a forest's life and we have done too much to prevent them in the past. The consequences of not allowing semi-frequent small fires is large fires that impact the whole system. Nobody wants to see homes or lives lost to fires either, but fires are good for forests, wildlife and us in the longterm.

Not sure where this post is going but keep in mind that the last 50 odd years of successful fire suppression is, and will, lead to bigger and more damaging fires going forward. Fires are a natural part of a forest's life and we have done too much to prevent them in the past. The consequences of not allowing semi-frequent small fires is large fires that impact the whole system. Nobody wants to see homes or lives lost to fires either, but fires are good for forests, wildlife and us in the longterm.

Quoted for truthiness.

I understand the damage that a forest fire can create and the dangers it posseses to the men and woman that fight them, as i did that for a summer. The fire is a far way away from most areas of habitat for human, as its solely in the bush. This fire went to over 2500 ha in roughly 24 hr, that is from an employee from the mnr whom i am good friends with. With the lack of fires in the area and ontario for the most part in the last 3-4yrs, the forest is littered with fuel, add in the dry temps and poor runoff this spring, its suprising that this is the first, or what i am aware of as a first of its size this year. The MNR does a great job (did i just say that) in controlling forest fires and have complete faith that this to will be controlled, however, they are amazing how they grow, and will create a mind of its own.

Edited by anders

Please put yours forth then. :dunno:

Your 100% correct with the point you make that (we) the MNR Aviation Forest Fire Emergency Services section does our job too well and has completely disturbed natures way of cleaning it's bottom. Fires are mother natures toilet paper essentialy and clean small fuels and duff litter off the ground allowing more mature trees to grow. Our reasoning behind putting all theses fires out is due to the fact that mankind has decided to build Houses, Cottages, Camps, Trapper cabins and other such structures in the areas which we call structured values. Also the lumber industy may rely on certain sections or areas to keep their industry going for the next 5 years possibly, known as timbered values. In one way or another we are doing our best to protect these values for the public's and the industry's interests. This being said, we also do our part in the farther Northern regions of Ontario (as does Manitoba, Alberta, Quebec and other agancies across the country) in the manner that we will allow a fire to be a BOB fire. Being Observed, a fairly steady monitoring is done on these fires where there are no known values, either structure or timber to allow theses sections to burn off and do it's own thing. There have been several major sections of the Ontario forests that are being affected by bud worm kill and beatle kill, essentially turning theses ares of forest into 100' tall grass lands. They burn erradictly and uncontrolably for the most part. Along with blowdown and storm damaged ares our natural resources are ever changing due to invasive factors and weather phenomenoms daily.

This has been my occupation for five years now,and it is an incredible experience and I enjoy doing it thouroughly. At the same time we are never to forget the forces of mother nature. Steadily I have been taking courses and furthering my knowledge on the factors that affect fire and it's behaviour. We all know that putting out theses small fires are allowing fuel load build up for the ability of a large fire to become possible, but just think that if you had a camp a mile away from a small fire, would you want it out?

As for someone mentioning the size of this being the largest in a while there is currently a 5000+ ha. fire burning in the Red Lake district. Although it's not getting the same attention because the town may not be out of power and no immediate concerns of evacuation for life's sake is present, there are several people that really on those trees to make a pay cheque on thursday to feed their families and others that need some 2x4's.

Remeber that every fire big or small start from one small ignition source!

Edited by BassAsin

Scary part is it's only get worse as the summer crowd starts making their way North to recreat..

We lit the runway on fire today from a simple aircraft exhaust backfire... :o

Is it not amazing how dry it is after the past two years Wayne? temagami is still down about 18" at the dock in town.