Cabela's Looking At Selling Boats In Canada

Here's a juicy bit of news that I learned of yesterday while on a business trip to South Carolina - Cabela’s is looking at selling boats and outboards in Canada. The news comes directly from the horse's mouth: “At some point in the future we intend to explore the opportunity to be a full-line marine dealer selling boats and motors for all water recreation needs,” says Carl McKay, President of Cabela’s Canada.

Cabela's has one retail store in Canada right now, in Winnipeg, and has already announced plans to open additional locations, starting with one in western Canada (Calgary area?) by the end of this year. Other stores being discussed are one near Vancouver, two in Quebec, and two in southern Ontario (one in the GTA).

Cabela’s sells a huge variety of boating accessories from its Winnipeg store right now, including canoes and fishing kayaks, electronics, clothing and PFDs. In the US, many Cabela’s stores also sell boats and outboard motors, including Lowe, Alumacraft, Ranger, Scout, Cimarron and FinCraft boats, with either Mercury or Yamaha outboards.

I have no idea of a timeline for this, or any further information right now.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

I would hope that if they build in Ontario that it's north of Toronto, like around Barrie, save me the trip in that retarded traffic to BPro. I'm sure there's enough customers in the area that would oblige.

I second that vote. How about this: Barrie raceway torn down and in its place a cabela's and an Ikea. Send wife to ikea and go to cabela's. Not to mention that I live like 2 minutes away from the racetrack.

I second that vote. How about this: Barrie raceway torn down and in its place a cabela's and an Ikea. Send wife to ikea and go to cabela's. Not to mention that I live like 2 minutes away from the racetrack.

That would fly but, when she comes out of Ikea and you have to "start the car", do you go over to Cabelas and she has to "start the car" 'cause you both made off like bandits. :w00t:

I once heard Cabela's requires 40 acres of land to build...I have been to 3 different Cabela's and they are NICE, don't get me wrong....However, I found the catalogs are a lot of times cheaper to purchase from...if you get a email coupon from them then that takes care of the shipping charges and in the USA we can't be charged sales tax from a business that has no presence in your state. So no sales tax for NYS and it's easier shopping online....but for things like boots and shoes that you like to try on there is nothing like visiting the place of business.

Weird you would say that cause i heard that there has been sighting's of a cabela's truck near the Race track