More Bears showing up.

Tdel

On Tuesday night my son heard nurses from Georgian Bay General Hospital discussing the fact that there was a bear near the Heliport and parking lot. This was confirmed Wednesday night by the A channel news and the Midland free press which stated that the bear was seen near Monsignor Castex school. This school is just a stones throw away from the hospital.

The A channel also mentioned another bear attack, north of Coldwater. The person was able to get away on his atv without injury. More traps were set to try and trap the bear. They also said a bear was spotted in Gravenhurst.

Seems to be getting quite common to see all this wildlife coming into town.

Tom.

Georgian Bay, Midland, Coldwater, Gravenhurst.... why does it surprise people that there are bears in these areas?

If a bear was spotted in toronto then it should be news..

Exactly... One jumped infront of our jeep on an access road in greater sudbury last weekend. I think I should've called the MNR on that too :wallbash:

Yeah, I guess you guys are right. City bears are a different breed than town bears. More aggressive and news worthy. I guess the guy with the atv should have waited to find out if it was a town bear or a city bear and then we could have decided if it was an actual attack or not.

I posted this because I was trying to inform people who live or are traveling to the area to be aware. A bear near the Midland hospital parking lot isn't that important, after all, the emergency entrance is just a hop, skip, and a jump away.

What a waste of time.

Tom

Tom, don't worry what the others think.

Thanks for posting. I picked up my girls from Monsignor yesterday and it was spotted on the tree line and went into the bush behind GBGH....

200 kids in the yard and a bear around and people here think its a joke. Get a grip people.

The bear that attacked and ate part of that hunter should be considered a maneater (bad word for tourism and politics though) and police tactical/military needs to be brought in for some live-round tactical training. Or else special hounds need to be used to corner it. Seriously. And the atv 'attackee' needs to be properly interviewed to determine if maybe it's the same bear or a definite attack. Gov't is playing it all down, but there's one huge bear out there that has eaten human flesh near Coldwater/Port Severn, and it has to be dispatched as quickly as possible, period.

'Mistaken for a deer' initially, fine. But up a tree after the 'deer' and eating the calf of the guy is wayyyy past that.

I'm sure local fellows are looking for it, rifles in tow, but if not shot soon it simply demonstrates the bear is smart enough to reason well and enjoys human flesh. Noone is safe with it being at large. Pressure will make it's moves more nocturnal and may move it out of the area.

Be careful out there folks! MNR has no doubt explored options, but 1st thing is to try and trap a dumb bear. Cheap, easy to then say you're doing something. Makes the issue go away hopeful that the bear won't attack another human soon. That's what we pay taxes for I suppose.

^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

Well, that certainly is an interesting point of view.

Regarding the ATV incident, from what I understand, the bear charged them while they where on their machines. They we're able to drive away fast enough to avoid a true "attack". Who knows though..

Well I think people want to know about sightings

speaking of which

on Saturday I saw the biggest bear I have ever seen in my life, at 400 and moonstone area

and if I didn't slam the brakes I would of hit him..or he would have hit me....

man was that thing running fast

I saw a total of Four bears this weekend ... three near Rocky Crest (on Hamer Bay road) mother and two cubs (apparantly she has a total of four cubs this year) - in broad daylight ... rumor has it someone at the general store is feeding them ... not too bright if its true ... then another the next day over by Minett (again mid-day) ... all made tracks into the woods but nonetheless I was glad to be in a car and not on foot at the time ...thats more than I have ever seen in a season - let alone a weekend

I understand some people's perception on bears (not all but some), however we have become a society of fear. What did everyone do 10 15 yrs ago when they saw a bear? My guess is pull out the 35mm or the polaroid and try to get a picture of it. I understand the population is growing due to the cancellation of the spring bear hunt, and we are slowly expanding our cities and towns into where the bush once was, but i think if we educated ourselves and hell even if the MNR's great :tease: bear wise program offered a free info sessions we wouldn't have to continue to live like this every summer or spring.

Yeah, I guess you guys are right. City bears are a different breed than town bears. More aggressive and news worthy. I guess the guy with the atv should have waited to find out if it was a town bear or a city bear and then we could have decided if it was an actual attack or not.

I posted this because I was trying to inform people who live or are traveling to the area to be aware. A bear near the Midland hospital parking lot isn't that important, after all, the emergency entrance is just a hop, skip, and a jump away.

What a waste of time.

Tom

i didn't mean you specifically. I'm talkin about the news and general media.

They make it seem like such a huge deal when in true fact the facts they give you usually mislead and stray from the truth... If a bear is spotted near a town i guess that town has the right to know about it from the local news but otherwise its not a worthy story for mass media, more like a scare tactic.

i didn't mean you specifically. I'm talkin about the news and general media.

They make it seem like such a huge deal when in true fact the facts they give you usually mislead and stray from the truth... If a bear is spotted near a town i guess that town has the right to know about it from the local news but otherwise its not a worthy story for mass media, more like a scare tactic.

Exactly...a scare tactic

I saw the interview with the guy on the ATV. He said he stoped the machine and was standing next to it. The bear closed 150yards in less than 10 seconds. He said he climbed back on and hit the gas. Didn't wait to see if it was a false charge. :clapping:

Most bears are not a problem and incidents usually occur because of bad timing on either the humans part or the bears. The MNR finally admits that a very small percentage of bears (usually large males) see humans as prey (in print on the back of the Algonquin Park canoe map) eg. the bear that swam out to an island on Opeongo just to kill a husband and his wife camping on the island. :unsure:

Put it all into perspective though. The number of attacks is extremely low compared to car accidents but we all drive and don't worry alot about it. It's overblown by the mediea. :blush:

Edited by Oggie

I saw the interview with the guy on the ATV. He said he stoped the machine and was standing next to it. The bear closed 150yards in less than 10 seconds. He said he climbed back on and hit the gas. Didn't wait to see if it was a false charge. :clapping:

That is what I heard too Oggie. Only thing that no one has mentioned on this thread is that all the "bear experts" have made similar comments after most of these incidents. "Very unusual, not normal etc.

Azuluspookd - Thanks for taking my post seriously. I've noticed that it is the usual group of guys that make these stupid comments. I thought the Toronto Zoo had returned from the grave with some of the statements being made here.

Tom