quick driving question London to Fort Francis

Could someone give me an idea how long it would take to drive from London to Fort Francis. I have located a motor in International Falls MN and was considering if it was worth the time and drive to save about 3000 bucks. Would it be less time to drive the US side(through Port Huron upper Michigan Pen.) up to International Falls? thanks

Could someone give me an idea how long it would take to drive from London to Fort Francis. I have located a motor in International Falls MN and was considering if it was worth the time and drive to save about 3000 bucks. Would it be less time to drive the US side(through Port Huron upper Michigan Pen.) up to International Falls? thanks

I'm pretty certain stateside is still faster. I haven't driven it in years and can't remember how long it took us though. And we weren't going as far as that. All I remember was driving all night and getting to the race track in time to get the sleds out and set up in the morning.

JF

Just did a quick(read not accurate) measurement using Mapsource. Stateside 950 miles, Canada 1000 miles. Stateside is probably faster with their highway system, but going around Superior if you have never done it before is much more picturesque.

Just did a quick(read not accurate) measurement using Mapsource. Stateside 950 miles, Canada 1000 miles. Stateside is probably faster with their highway system, but going around Superior if you have never done it before is much more picturesque.

Take into account 2 border stops each way and (trying to) accounting for the outboard you have in the trunk.. and the Canadian route is a no brainer and a LOT better looking! Stop a few times along the way and fish with OFC'rs..

(mind you the fuel will be cheaper on the other side of the line)

Edited by irishfield

$3,000. is a fair chunk of change but you'll be putting 2,000 miles on your vehicle, buying 8 tanks of gas and using up 3 days. How much is your time worth?

Agreed. Have it shipped unless you plan on making a little vacation out of it.

Agreed. Have it shipped unless you plan on making a little vacation out of it.

I have driven too and from Fort 5 times over the past 3 years to southern Ontario...I have never even thought of going through the states as it can be a hassel as far as I am concerned...taking the northern route through Longlac I found to be an easier drive though going through the Soo is a much more scenic drive as long as you travel that part in the daylight...straight through at approx 110 km/h takes about 21 hours, with typical food and gas stops. If you are driving a full size truck look at 300-350 for gas one way. An option this time of year to reduce miles on the vehicle (but not cost or time) is to take the ferry across at Tobermory to Manitoulin..and if you take this route it only makes sense to go through the Soo.

Hope this helps.