Honda Outboards

scugpg

I was in a local Honda shop checking out some smaller outboards 9.9-25hp for the relatives and was wondering what everyone's opinion is on them. From the pricing I got they seemed substantially more than Merc/Yamaha.

Does anyone know of a dealership that they recommend that has good pricing? Around KW/London preferred but willing to drive further if its worth it.

Thanks.

Edited by scugog

All I can say about Honda is VERY RELIABLE. I had a 1980 7.5hp Honda bought it used in 2001 sold it in 2004 zero problems with it despite its age.

I had a 50hp Honda 8yrs old again zero issues and it was so fuel eficient compared to my 60hp Yamaha.

Currently have a 2hp long shaft for a kicker again can't complain so far so good.The only thing I don't like about

the 2hp is it is noisy because it is air cooled.Yes Mercury costs less I believe under 90hp is made in China

this may explain the cheaper price.Many on this board will tell you they are Happy with there Mercs.

I don't think you would be dissapointed if you opt for the Merc.

I personally like Japanese products have had many and have been very satisfied.Good luck with your purchase.

Honda is a good motor as is Yamaha. I have never had a problem with Mercs. I now have 3 in the driveway (don't ask). People on my street think I'm a Merc dealer. Pic was taken this afternoon.....yes folks, we have snow.

021-1.jpg

I have a 50 Honda Tiller, it's great no problems. But if I had to do it over, I'd be looking at a Merc. My Buddy's have a 50 & 75 HP tiller Merc and I hate to admit, the Merc is allot quieter than my Honda plus your buying north American. My 1 buddy lives in London and bought his at Hully Gully. Look at Roy, there is 3 more. Roy wouldn't steer you wrong, except he can keep that white stuff.

Edited by Fish Farmer

I have a '96 Honda 25 with zero problems, very economical, one complete oil change per year with oil and gas filter, unfortunately still running on the second set of plugs.. :rolleyes:

As for HullyGully, I have a personal knowledge of a club member that has had nothing but grief and complete stupidity from them. How do you expect a deep cycle battery to run your downriggers and f/f without being hooked up to the charging circuit. They blamed him for not asking. Call Sturgeon Point Marina at Wasaga Beach for a price or go to their website.

As for HullyGully, I have a personal knowledge of a club member that has had nothing but grief and complete stupidity from them.

You have no idea how many time I've heard stories like that. :whistling:

Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it.

They are a pretty good motor. BUT, my father in law had a 50hp Honda (an '01) that had the magnets for the generator fall off and stop the motor dead. The repair bill was $1700 (Honda kicked in $500). They had a problem with the epoxy that they were fixed on with. One lodge up in the waaaayy north (LOTW) had 10 of 12 motors go down with this problem. Honda knew they had a problem and they only picked up part of the repair bill. Now the motor was out of warranty but this was a goodwill gesture on their part but I personally don't think they did enough. So, that said, I would not go with a Honda myself, I'd stick to a black anchor or a yammie, suzuki also makes a REALLY reliable motor.

They are a pretty good motor. BUT, my father in law had a 50hp Honda (an '01) that had the magnets for the generator fall off and stop the motor dead. The repair bill was $1700 (Honda kicked in $500). They had a problem with the epoxy that they were fixed on with. One lodge up in the waaaayy north (LOTW) had 10 of 12 motors go down with this problem. Honda knew they had a problem and they only picked up part of the repair bill. Now the motor was out of warranty but this was a goodwill gesture on their part but I personally don't think they did enough. So, that said, I would not go with a Honda myself, I'd stick to a black anchor or a yammie, suzuki also makes a REALLY reliable motor.

I'm sure none of the others has ever had any problems or that the mfgr's have always picked up the full repair tab. :whistling:

I'm not saying the full repair tab, but at least cover the parts that were damaged. Goodwill goes a long way. I won't recommend a Honda because of their lack of it. It was like pulling teeth to get that much. K Sports in Kenora went to bat for us too and that helped. They were great to deal with but Honda was not.

All outboards will serve you well if you take reasonable care of them....I have a 1985 50 hp VRO Johnson on my boat...yes it's oil injected and runs like the day I purchased it 25 years ago....had a impeller put in just because it was 19 years old....besides that I change the lower unit oil EVERY YEAR before storing it for the winter in a garage...and change spark plugs every spring...BELIEVE it or NOT that's it for this 25 year old 2 stroke motor.....:<)..........now watch...I just jinked myself for this weekend walleye opener...LOL

Bob

Thanks guys. I've been calling around and there seems to be a big variance on the Honda pricing - like 5-$600 difference for the same motor. Hoping I can track down a connection to get a good price. If anyone knows a dealer in the SW Ontario area recommended PM me...Honda or otherwise.

I just paid 6999$ for my 2010 Honda 50hp tiller.

As for how it performs...I'll let you know when I get a day to use it :wallbash: !!!!

EDIT- If you're only looking for a 9.9-25 horse, maybe try Ebay Motors and such...shipping on a motor that small wouldnt cost much...180$ish

Edited by archie_james_c

As mentioned above, I talked to my buddy about Hully Gully, he said there price was right but there service stunk. So there you go. Like I said, I've got 2 Honda's There controls are garbage and the paint gets washed out. Paint on there motors stink, I can't get the water spots off. My 15hp Honda kicker with the remote controls, the gas lever will not keep the trolling speed at a steady RPM, soon as I turn my steering wheel the motor speeds up. Had it back to the dealer and theres nothing they can do. Tried contacting Honda, nothing they will do. :wallbash: Just another Ginypig I guess. Like I said Merc would be my choice now. Suzuki, and Yamaha are very nice but I'd be concerned about service, parts back in the north country. 30 years ago, I would have never said the word Merc. Good luck with your choice. Now I hope my magnets don't fall off :wallbash::worthy:

There is much cross breeding in the industry now. Mercury four strokes (50 horsepower and under) are actually Tohatsu which is the old Nissan. Many BRP(Johnson/Evinrude) four strokes are actually Suzuki. As far as I know Honda remains Honda and Yamaha remains Yamaha. Although a while back it was rumoured that Yamaha was making some of the larger four stokes for Mercury.

When it comes to four strokes the maintenance schedule can be very expensive. The overhead cams in most are belt driven and it is recommended that they be replaced every two years. At much expense! If you choose to ignore and run the belt beyond two years it could lead to serious if not terminal engine damage.

I owned a 25 Suzuki fourstroke and it was everthing you could want. The only drawbacks were the added weight (40 lbs or so over a comparable two stroke) and the maintenace schedule. The extra weight at the back made for poor visibility when I was in the boat alone at slow speeds. The bow would ride extremely high until you were up on plane. The need to replace the timing belt (every two years) was at that time about $600. Oil and filter changes every 50 hours.

When the warranty expired on my Suzuki I sold it. Bought a new 25 Yamaha two stroke. Lighter. Fewer moving parts. No maintenace program. 100 to 1 oil ratio.

It may cost a little more in fuel but it's still money in the bank in the long run.