Catfishing with a friend~awesome time

skeeter

I went out to dunnville yesterday with fisherpete to see if we could get any big cats .

started the day off with finding that the bow roller on his trailer decided it didn't want to go with us, and left some where along the way.

launched the boat only to find out he lost the key some where along the way as well.

luckily he had a spare.

now were off and running.

Pete gets the first one in

catfishingdunnville4-26-10001.jpg

i missed my first one~~~damn

then bam i got a hit

catfishingdunnville4-26-10007.jpg

34.5 inches

I never realized just how much power these fish have.

the rest of the day did not disappoint either.

catfishingdunnville4-26-10008.jpg

catfishingdunnville4-26-10009.jpg

catfishingdunnville4-26-10011.jpg

catfishingdunnville4-26-10012.jpg

catfishingdunnville4-26-10014.jpg

catfishingdunnville4-26-10017.jpg

catfishingdunnville4-26-10018.jpg

catfishingdunnville4-26-10020.jpg

the last one of the day

catfishingdunnville4-26-10021.jpg

it was an awesome time.

thanks Pete for taking me out.

ps: the lost key was found at the end of the day~~ :worthy:

fish-meister:

GO FOR IT !!!!!!!!!!!!

All i can say is , make sure you have a good rod, the first one i got was over 20LBS.

we used down rigging rods and the cats made them look like pretzels.

haha thats awesome !! all I have is Heavy action and one XH action flippin sticks.(lifetime warrenties)

i figgure it could be worth a shot ! :P

just would need to research it a bit more ?!

how longs it normally take u guys to get out there?

Edited by fish-meister

thanks GBW.

how longs it normally take u guys to get out there?----

from scarborough its 1.5 hour drive.

if you mean from the boat launch at fishmasters----32.5 seconds

your rods will work , you just wont have as much fun with them-LOL

HA HA HA! Very funny Skeeter! But yeah, my hands are pretty chewed up from lipping these beasts like bass for the past few weeks... all is good until they clamp down and thrash - then that sandpaper mouth of theirs does a real number on the knuckles!!! Oh well, such is life... and apart from the trailer and boat key mishaps, it was another great day with even better company out on the Grand. Skeeter's first cat (ever!) was a true tanker, had an enormous head on it... she is most likely the heaviest cat so far to be landed in my boat this year. They fight really well, eh Dann!!! It was actually very lucky that we got her in, after over 5 minutes of battle, she powerdove at boatside and wrapped the line around the anchor rope!!! While Dann kept the tension on the rod, I somehow managed to pull up the 18lb anchor with one hand, being VERY careful to let out slack as she thrashed, and then scoop that big'ol cat with the net in the other! Dann's 20lb Powerpro was pretty frayed at the point where it was wrapped around the anchor line, but managed to hold!

Here's another shot of Dann with the big fish of the day.

DSCN1730-Copy.jpg

OK, can someone on the site please enlighten us catfishers as to what the deal is on some of the cats being bright yellow and some being dull grey? I have heard varting theories, including different species, blue cats vs. channel cats, being fresh in from the lake compared to having spent some time in the river, and males vs. females. Anyone have the answer? Just curious... all the yellows fought like HELL yesterday, further adding to my confusion as to whether they are indeed a different fish!

Guest Johnny Bass

I see the cats are still goin strong. I wonder if it is legal(or effective) to cast stick baits for them?

Edited by Johnny Bass

OK, can someone on the site please enlighten us catfishers as to what the deal is on some of the cats being bright yellow and some being dull grey?

:dunno:

As Iwas told once upon a time way back.Channel cats(greyish with small black spots).Mud cats,yellow bellys(yellow and brown).Channels cats tug and fight,mudcats twirl for the fight(esp the yongins).