Berkley 50 lb digital scale opinions

FisherMike

i just picked up this berkley digital scale and was wondering what some of your opinions are on it. it was the only scale in the store i went to and i need it for fishing tommorrow so i didnt have much choice. are they fairly accurate?? any problems with them??

thanks

It's a good scale for the money. But my old Berkley was more accurate. We use them for bass tourneys Roy. The 50 lb scale I use now usually weighs a tad on the light side compared to most weigh in scales. I find if you tare it before weighing anything you get a more accurate reading.

for an accurate scale you need to pay some good $$

from my research (online, which doesn't mean much...)

the spring scales are more accurate...

also buy a scale with the range the fish is in...

example if you're bass fishing... don't go and buy a 0-50 scale... get a 0-20...

again, these are things that i've read and that is what i've come up with...

i ended up with a 0-60 rapala lock n weigh...

tackle tour did a review of the 0-20

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewrapalagrip20.html

solid product!!

I have the 50lb Berkley digital scale, and tested it for accuracy with a number of weights when I first bought it - I found that it was accurate to within two or three ounces for items up to 20 pounds. Make sure that you tare it before each weighing.

I've had a Rapala digital scale for years. I used to use it when salmon fishing the tournies.

If the fish wasn't large enough to enter for prizes, it went back right away.

I didn't agree with lifting a fish vertically that may be released, but did what I had to to participate in the tourny. Weighing the fish in a cradle would be better, but I never had a cradle, so did the best I could with what I had.

It works very well and is accurate, but if you bang it around or keep putting heavy weight on it,

it could be off a few ounces. I found that it was off by 2 to 4 ounces on a 30lb, salmon. Not bad.

Had it replaced and the new one I have has hardly been used.

Edited by Carp

I love my digital scale. When I first received it I took it to our local butcher shop & the owner compared a couple of pieces of meat on his scale versus my new digital. Mine is very accurate to his scale!! I also use it for other things such as weighing the amount of fertilizer to put on my lawns. Scotts recomends 3lbs of fertilizer per 1000 square feet. Very simple - put the fertilizer in a pail, weigh it & I'm good to go. Don't forget to subtract the weight of the pail (tare). Also weighing sausage when we're making up our home made pork sausage in January. Shows me how much waste there is in a pork shoulder after weighing the finished product. Enjoy your new toy!!

I love my digital scale. When I first received it I took it to our local butcher shop & the owner compared a couple of pieces of meat on his scale versus my new digital. Mine is very accurate to his scale!! I also use it for other things such as weighing the amount of fertilizer to put on my lawns. Scotts recomends 3lbs of fertilizer per 1000 square feet. Very simple - put the fertilizer in a pail, weigh it & I'm good to go. Don't forget to subtract the weight of the pail (tare). Also weighing sausage when we're making up our home made pork sausage in January. Shows me how much waste there is in a pork shoulder after weighing the finished product. Enjoy your new toy!!

I've had my Berkly digital for about 6 years . . . dead on for accuracy . . . . only ONE big drawback . . . . . unless they have fixed the problem, you (if you read ALL the instructions) will find it won't work well BELOW about 3 degrees and there is a warning NOT to use it below 0 degrees. We had a kerfuffal a few years ago (I got flamed for suggesting this) until Speil actually called the distributor and found I WAS correct! I just checked mine, been in my SUMMER tackle box since October . . still works fine . . . ORIGINAL battery!