Trolling Motor Help! Minn Kota Edge on a Legend Boat?

Minnow

Hi Guys,

Need some advice,

I have a Legend 151 Viper just like the one below and have had a Minn Kota Motor electric powerdrive motor on it which broke, I now wanted to get a wire trolling motor like this Minn Kota Edge 45lb thrust but was told it would not fit or work properly with a v-hull boat. Just wondering if anyone has a setup similar to this and let me know if it can work or if it is impossible because I really prefer the wire trolling motors and wanted to get one for my legend.

This is the exact same boat as my legend

Legend.jpg

This is the trolling motor I use to have and broke

Minnkota2.jpg

This is the Minn Kota Edge that I want to get for my legend

Minnkota.jpg

There's no reason at all as to why it would not work. I have a 16'9" Princecraft deep V and the MinnKota Edge works beautifully.

Did they give you a reason as to why it would not work?

Are you sure its not just the foot pedal on your power drive that's on the fritz? I go thru one pretty much every season. I just got another new one yesterday at LeBarons. I'd check that out before I bought a new one.

I don't see any reason why the edge wouldn't work though.

S.

Are you sure its not just the foot pedal on your power drive that's on the fritz? I go thru one pretty much every season. I just got another new one yesterday at LeBarons. I'd check that out before I bought a new one.

I don't see any reason why the edge wouldn't work though.

S.

I wish it was the pedal, but I took it to the Minn Kota warranty shop in Mississauga and they said it was something internal in the motor.

He told me that the motor is made for bass boats and would not work properly with a V-hull because of the floor not bein level with the front bow.

Well, who ever "he" is, should get off the crack..... LOL.

As long as the platform on the front of your boat is big enough to mount the edge, it will work just fine. No worries. Even if its not big enough, you can make it bigger pretty easily.

I'd still check that footpedal on the power drive though. Even if your going to go with the edge, if you get a new foodpedal for the powerdrive, you could sell it to offset the cost of a cablesteer unit.

S.

He told me that the motor is made for bass boats and would not work properly with a V-hull because of the floor not bein level with the front bow.

Unbelievable! Was this dude selling hammers at Wal-Mart last week?

Ok, you beat me to the footpedal question. If the footpedal you have works, are you interested in selling it? I'd take it if your not too far. Seems like I can't get enough of the things, but I really like sitting at the tiller, while trolling with the bowmount :)

S.

I had a cable steer Minn Kota on my 34" deep Alumacraft V-hull and it worked fine.

I am not sure about the new models but my cable steer Minn Kota only required four bolts even though it had six holes. So it really didn't require a large area to mount it to. That was a 1994 model so it may not apply to the newer ones.

I have seen a few that the front where the motor is mounted is much higher then the floor and so the cable is barely long enough for the foot pedal to sit flat on the floor and I have seen people put a block of wood under the foot pedal so it sits strait and stops the cable from bending too much . it solved the problem and was easy to get use to after using it for a short time

You should be able to mount a scissor mount trolling motor on your Legend. It will over hang but the mount bolts will be on the mounting area. It is normal for it to over hang. I been trying to get a template for you but i can't find one yet. On that Hull we normally use a 48" shaft but i think the edge comes in a 50" shaft which is fine :D

I have a 50" shaft Minn Kota Edge on my 1985 16' Grumman. Works GREAT...before that I had a similar cable control Minn Kota for 23 years....My bow sits quite high off the front deck...no problem with the cable being too short...I beef up my deck with a piece of plywood that I stained and protected with Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane. It lasted for 25 years now and still no separation of the wood.

TrollingMotorTransducerBracket006.jpg

This shows how high my bow is off the front deck (Older TM in this Pic)

BuckhornLakeFishingPics001.jpg

watch to see how close your seat post is...

i've got a 65lb MK all terrain on my 16.5 legend scorpion and the seat post is too far forward...

it's very tight up front to get the pedal where you want it...

i'm lookin at switchin to an electric steer for that specific reason...

seat height is also an issue, cause if you don't have the proper seat height, you'll get fatigue/sore very easily...