Gloucester Pool

fish_d00d

Hi Everyone, I've posted a few threads, but just realized there's a tradition for new-comers to introduce themselves ...

I've always been interested in fish/fishing, and lived in Asia for the first half of my life. I first visited Toronto at the age of 4 and my uncle took me fishing. I never caught anything significant, but nevertheless, it was awesome! I returned to Malaysia - pumped- and even tried to fish in the large open-air sewers, desperate to try to catch something. Several years later, I moved to Toronto permanently, but by that time the interest had faded with a lack of peers with the same enthusiasm. During my last year in university (about 4 years ago), a really close friend of mine (who I had known for ten years) and I realized we were both crazy about fishing. The problem was we didn't know anything about it! Knowing nothing about fishing, and not knowing where to go, we spent most of our fishing outings at Hastings, fishing off the old railway track using pretty much anything on sale at Cdn Tire. The following year, we began to make some money and started renting boats. allowing us to cover open water. Still, I improved minimally. Last year, we got our own car-topper, and I started catching bass; 2 lbers, then 3 lbers, then one 4lber! Finally, at the end of the year, I had a 40" muskie on my line. Needless to say, I am hooked on fishing. My friends know it, my colleagues know it, and my wife knows (and understands) it. This year, I hope to become more consistent and continue to broaden, as well as share, my experiences on OFC. That's my story.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has fished Gloucester Pool (I never heard of the place until today), and can tell me what species I might find there. A friend of mine wants to organize a cottage trip there, and I would like to know if it's a good spot.

Thanks in advance.

Gloucester Pool is an awesome body of water with Little Lake at the top end of it near Port Severn..lots of species in there; bass, crappie, pike, and the ever elusive walleye! Lots of clubs have tournaments there every year..good luck

and musky too.

Hello and welcome fish d00d

Gpool: I find it harder to fish there compared to other lakes I've been to but when I hook up its likelier to be a bigger fish that at the other lakes. High risk high reward imo. I'm thinking the average size fish there is bigger.

Anglers atlas website has a free map to work from. The first couple of times I went it was easy to get lost if you come up through little lake but then I started using the hydro lines on the East side as point of reference and all was well. Its a good place to troll for pike and musky because there is so much area to fish and the depth is over 30ft and many areas. Going between the islands and finding lilly pads is agreat way to find pike sunning themselves (even saw a brown gar pike 3ft long) and some huge large mouth bass.

I think there's lots of boats traveling through the lake which can give some big waves so its a good idea to use a inflatable vest there, especially when the wind makes the waves even bigger.

Unfortunately I find the best time to fish there is early morning and later in the day after 6pm (when I have to bring the rental boat back :( ). If you search this forum you'll come across a thread of night musky fishing on gpool.

Edited by Syn

Guest Johnny Bass

Probably the most heavily fished lake I have seen. The water looks amazing and so is all the structure. But the fishing is average(maybe because I only use lures?) Way too many fishermen. Too much pressure.

A good population of average size bass but not many big ones. Alot of decent sized pike. And the occasional Musky that grow huge(50+). Apparently good for crappie, channel cats, bullheads and the occasional pickeral.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies, everyone

hopefully I will be hooking onto some nice walleyes and muskie :lol:

... if the trip goes ahead, I will post a report in June.

Welcome to the board :canadian:

Make sure you are well equipped for a muskie if you decide to land one.

Plenty of info using search function for proper catch and release of a musky.

Regardless, you should have a great time. Good Luck!

Work and fish g-pool all the time. have not seen a picy caught there in years. there are large muskies as the mnr have been moving them to Lake Cooch for yrs to reproduce. Crappie early spring, pike any time, Bass are spontaniase. Roll into Mclean lake lots of crappie, some good pike. my largest in there is 17lb. largest crappie there is 2.2lb. little chute landing has some great crappie fishing.