VHF marine license

lew

Hi guys, I want to install a VHF marine radio in my boat.

I need to get a license for it and understand I have to take a course before writing the test.

Anybody know who I'd contact in the Peterboro area ??

That's great news Lew. The folks from our Power and Sail Squadron are straight shooters so at least you know that you're getting the best advice/courses available. Nice when stuff works out. :thumbsup_anim:

I just got a radio as well. I asked a guy in the shop that I know sails and is with the squadron. He said...awww don't worry about it. Nobody bothers with a license any more.

This ain't advice...its just what he said

..and just to clarify Lew.. you need the "radio operators certificate" for YOU.. not the radio. Station licences were abolished for boats and airplanes in 1999.

If your VHF radio is not in the boat.. ie a handheld, or you are using a fixed base station in the house/marina etc.. you still need a base station licence for the radio.

I've heard the same thing from different folks too Dara, but I'd think if your stopped by the OPP and they see the antenna & radio their definetely gonna want to see the license that goes with it.

I normally get stopped by the police a couple times a year down this way and at least once or twice a summer on Nippissing, so I think the chances of getting checked are pretty good.

It's funny Wayne, I used radio's on the job for 30 odd years and never needed a license, but now I have to have one. Seems like just another $$$$ grab to me but don't spose we have much choice.

I hear yah Lew.. but at least we (Canadian Owners and Pilots Association) faught hard a decade+ ago and got rid of the base station requirement. Was a PITA with airplanes at ownership transfer and we faught and faught Industry Canada and won and it was also applied to boats. Why they left the requirement on portables I'll never know.. The operators cert I understand and not a flight goes by that I don't hear someone that shouldn't be allowed on a radio.

I'm no authority but I'm not real into authority either.

He said that if you aren't using the radio when you get checked, then you can't be charged with using it without a license.

That being said, I am going to at least read up on all the rules and regs for use. I don't want to mess up on a radio and cause trouble. I guess if I get a license and do mess up it covers me a little.

My sister is also in the power squadron so I will get something through her.

I never got stopped last year but I imagine I will this year.

My buddy quit fishing BOQ because he got checked so often.

I've been running a VHF marine radio for 20 years and have never been asked to see my operators license. When I lived in Mississauga and hit Lake "O" everyday during the open water season I was checked regularly by the Toronto and Peel marine units (I remember being checked every day for a week once). I have also been checked dozens of times by the OPP inland.

Where I live now it is not an issue, you don't need a boat operators card and you don't even need to register your boat (HP over 10) like you do down south.

Thanks for that link Randy.

There'll be a 2 evening course and exam in Peterboro sometime in either May or June, they don't know yet, and that'll cost $85 or I can purchase a book and CD from the Power Squadron for $70, do my own studying and then take the test.

Maybe I'll check and see if that link will give me everything I need, but they'll probably still charge for the exam.

Edited by lew

Yes, station licenses are not needed here but you'd better have one if you find yourself in US waters.

Thats my concern.My trolling pattern will take me back and forth across the border all day long.

I always carry my passport with me as well.

I've had the VHF operators certificate for 20 years. Yes, back then, I needed the station license as well.

Did my course at the Humber College campus in south Etobicoke (Lakeshore & Kipling) in Toronto.

If I remember correctly, the course was run by the Power & Sail Squadron.

Class or self taught, good luck on the exam Lew.:thumbsup_anim:

I purchased a hand unit.Hummingbird vhf 55s submersable, does this require a permit?I purchased it a year ago and only called out to the coast gaurd once in an emergency.They never asked for a permit/licence.I did see one c/g at a local marine shop 2 weeks later, the salesman asked if I had a vhf and we both smiled at the salesman while I thanked the gent.No mention from both over a license.

the test is a cake walk. make sure you also get the dsc part too. all new radios have it and its worth it.It could save your life one day.

How is having a License going to save your life? (I'm serious about this)

Is it actually illeagal to own and listen to a VHF radio?

I always thought it was illeagal to broadcast with no license,

If I was sinking, fine me, it would be worth the fine to have someone hear me. On the other hand, someone might be glad I heard their "Licensed" broadcast.

I won't get a license, period.

Edited by nofish4me

..and just to clarify Lew.. you need the "radio operators certificate" for YOU.. not the radio. Station licences were abolished for boats and airplanes in 1999.

If your VHF radio is not in the boat.. ie a handheld, or you are using a fixed base station in the house/marina etc.. you still need a base station licence for the radio.

Does this mean I would need two licences if I bought a hand held? A base license for the radio and an operators license for me?

How is having a License going to save your life? (I'm serious about this)

Is it actually illeagal to own and listen to a VHF radio?

I always thought it was illeagal to broadcast with no license,

If I was sinking, fine me, it would be worth the fine to have someone hear me. On the other hand, someone might be glad I heard their "Licensed" broadcast.

I won't get a license, period.

I was stranded and not in distress at the time I made a call to the coast gaurd.Funny thing is that Im really, really friggen peed about.Everyone that was out had their radios on.I called out and flared, whistled, waved, you name it.When the coast gaurd towed me in everyone said I heard you on the radio.I took a look around radios were off or non existant.Its funny what people say after the fact.

I will say on thing,or 2or 3.I have binoculars, I listen and scan frequecies,I watch!

If I see something that doesnt look right then I will persue it.No Matter, its in my nature to do so.

And to some that said something after the fact in my incident I truely flip you the bird.I would be there to help in a hurry, no doubt.Sorry Just my personal rant.As for licences to broadcast for emergencies I dont think you should have to have one.If I did then I wouldnt be here to talk about it.Cheers

Edited by vinnimon