Flipping a boat

HTHM

Any suggestions as to how I can flip a 1400 pound 18' bass boat? I need to put it upside down to do some repairs.

Other than manufacturers shops, authorized service centers, I cannot see anyone flipping a boat of that weight upside down. You can do it I am sure, with the right equipment, but the motor has to come off, and if the gas tank is integral to the boat, that has to be dealt with(oil reservoir also). I also dunno if I wanna be underneath a boat that weight on a floor dolly doing repairs, even if the trailer is between me and the boat.

I saw this done on a boat up in North bay one opener. They had an automotive engine stand bolted to the transom and a sling through the eye of the bow attached to a hook on the truss of the garage they slowly rotated the boat upside down and supported it with saw horses. worked like a charm.Be sure to reinforce the trusses.

P.S if an engine stand will support a 440 big block it will definately take the weight of this boat till its blocked up.

Edited by sirfish

Well, if ya wanna put 4 or 5 bolt holes through your transom, I am sure it would work. Unless they made a jig for the transom. Spinning that weight around on the single eye hook on the front of the boat though, I think that's risky. Seen too many loose front end eye's. Even on my 12 footer.

When I worked at a marina we use to use block and tackle on a three point lift. Lift the front through the eye hook and the two rear eye hooks as well. All work was down from the underside of the boat. Also we use to use a forklift with big long forks and setting the boat on big wooden blocks. I can't ever remember flipping the boat over though and never took the motor off.

Rob C

Well, if ya wanna put 4 or 5 bolt holes through your transom, I am sure it would work. Unless they made a jig for the transom. Spinning that weight around on the single eye hook on the front of the boat though, I think that's risky. Seen too many loose front end eye's. Even on my 12 footer.

A heavy duty engine stand will have 4 fully adjustable arms on it...and ..get this...the transom will have four 3/4" holes already drilled through it :blink: .He may however have to make up some sort of spacers to offset the angle of the transom. As for the bow there is very little weight it will only be on full weight till it is fully turned then blocked up.

Robs way is probably the way to go if engine still on but with minimal weight it should work and be so much easier doing the work from above rather than under.

The four cleats on the boat are amazingly strong, ranger at the factory picks their boats up on them and not a problem, can't say for sure if the motors are on or not, i would not personally atempt flipping a bassboat, especially mine, i would use the rear tie down rings and the front eye, liift the back up first ,acouple of feet then raise the front higher to gain the space needed for the repair, kinda like tipping it from end to end ,just suspended!

The reason I want to flip it upside down is because the repair work to the underside is quite extensive, I need to prep it for refinishing. The hull is stripped down to nothing on it except for the steering cables.

The intent is to lift it, flip it, and then place back on the trailer, (on custom made stands) so that I can transport it to the refinishing shop after the prep work is done.

Then I need to prep the top cap and refinish that.

The reason I want to flip it upside down is because the repair work to the underside is quite extensive, I need to prep it for refinishing. The hull is stripped down to nothing on it except for the steering cables.

The intent is to lift it, flip it, and then place back on the trailer, (on custom made stands) so that I can transport it to the refinishing shop after the prep work is done.

Then I need to prep the top cap and refinish that.

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I think the refinishing shop may want to prep it themselves. :dunno: Ive seen this too often with body work.Some shops wont touch it.

Not to be a stick in the mud, but I think the refinishing shop may want to prep it themselves. :dunno: Ive seen this too often with body work.Some shops wont touch it.

Na, it is my brothers shop. Where you work will know of him.

I found this Albert on kajiji, Feb 28/10 post.Boat mechanic in T O.

Now that is quite a neat photo Vinnimon, and I can see that happening. Never thought cleats and nose hooks would be that rugged to lift a boat walleyemen. Just never heard of anybody completely flipping a boat to repair it. Obviously that shop has the space and the tools to do the work. Sure isn't "Orange County Chopper's" shop, :lol: :lol: