Sausage day

danc

I don't know just how many years we've been doing this, but on every Good Friday for at least the past decade, the boys get together for a sausage making party. We've refined the recipe over the years and now have our top secret blend of spices for both mild and hot sausage. It's an all day event that takes place at my friends body shop.

We start with about 500 lbs. of pork.

sausage2.jpg

Next, the spices are hand mixed into the meat.

sausage5.jpg

Then there's a well coordinated process of loading the meat into the sausage making machines, processing the meat through the machines and into the casings, and finally twising the casings into links.

sausage6.jpg

sausage3.jpg

sausage7.jpg

sausage4.jpg

It all adds up to a fun day with friends with some nice rewards. We end up with about 40 lbs. each. I can't wait to sample a few.

My wife and I continued the family tradition of making Kielbasa or better known as "Polish Sausage" for the last 28 years...just like you we make it just before Easter every year for the holidays and then we have a huge breakfast for everyone that can make it on Easter morning....

My mother was a "Wardinski" the company that still makes commercial brands of sausages and hotdogs plus cold cuts. So we have the original that's over 100 years old...however, the stuff you now get from the store is much less seasoned to please the palate of everyone...the home made is MUCH better and we never buy it from the store.

When we started taking over the tradition we told a few in the family that we were going to make it by hand of course...well everyone wanted some...so 5 lbs here 10 lbs there and we were up to 75 pounds the first year with just me, my wife and my godmother that guarded the recipe...since that first time we scaled back and now tell no one we are making homemade sausage...they even wanted us to deliver it to them.. :wallbash:

Looks great, :good: good way to spend a day with your Buddy's. I wonder how many of those sausage make it on a fishin trip. You must have had to do the BBQ thing after all that hard work for taste testing :whistling: I like that elec. grinder, looks heavy duty. I just bought the one CTC had on sale, hope it does the trick. I've been using the old #10 Porker manual for years, you need 3 hands. I also make my own but on a much smaller scale, soon as the shoulders come on sale for $.99 LB. Can't wait to try out the new Elec.