Outboard motor help

jjcanoe

I'm not very mechanically inclined but can do a bit of stuff on my own.

I have a 1997 Mercury 40hp, 2 stroke oil injected engine....

Ok here's whats happening.

Unwinterized my boat today, fired it up with the earmuffs on and I'm getting no water coming out of the little hole in the back (sorry I don't know the technical term LOL)where the water SHOULD be coming out thus cooling the engine....

any ideas as to what it could be?

Also, in the lower unit, there appears to be a milky off white stuff dripping out, it is also coming out of the center of the prop where the exhaust is......

any ideas???

Thanks

jjcanoe

Did you add new oil to the lower unit when you put it away? This forces out any accumlated moisture from the season's operation which can discolor the oil. Try pumping in some new to see if any more of the stuff comes out the top hole as you force it in the bottom.

The stream of water you're looking for is often called a "tell tale" - it's there to let you know the water (cooling) system is properly circulating. Unless you've got a blockage (intake screens or in the block) it's usually a sign that you have to change the impeller. Kit usually comes with addtional parts (varies), use ALL the ones specified for your motor.

If the kit doesn't come with a schematic, most/many dealers can print one off for you - great help for the repair. Talk to your dealer - they'll probably advise along the same lines.

Michael

the milky white stuff is water that has gotten into the lower end.

as for the water spout, take the hose off on the back of the spout and blow into it.

could just be dirt in the line some where , if the air goes threw it easily then put the hose back onto the spout and take the hose off near the engine, so you can blow air threw the spout.

if air comes out both ends and it still is not squirting water out the spout , then you probably need to replace the impeller.

Well it sounds like I'm needing an Impeller (and hopefully not a pump as well) Watched some instructional videos on you tube already LOL

Boat was winterized properly by a marine mechanic.

no blockage in the tube, that was the first thing I checked out

so, water in the lower unit.... does this mean I need a gasket of some sort or could it be something worse since it hasn't been in the water since it was winterized?

Thanks

jjcanoe

Well it sounds like I'm needing an Impeller (and hopefully not a pump as well) Watched some instructional videos on you tube already LOL

Boat was winterized properly by a marine mechanic.

no blockage in the tube, that was the first thing I checked out

so, water in the lower unit.... does this mean I need a gasket of some sort or could it be something worse since it hasn't been in the water since it was winterized?

Thanks

jjcanoe

jj did you shoot some compressed air up the "telltale" hole? Might just be a slight blockage in there.

As for the bottom end its possibly a seal. When he winterized the motor did he change the lower unit oil then?

1. Did you actually remove the lower screw where you fill the lower gear oil and see milky white oil coming out of there? If you have milky white oil coming out of there, then I'm having great doubts that it was changed last fall. If not, then that oil you're seeing could be be oil and condensation mix coming out of the exhaust port.

At worst, there may be 3 seals, one behind the prop, one on the driveshaft where it goes into the lower unit from the top and on the shifter rod going into the lower unit.

2. If you blew air up the pee hole and there's no restriction, yes you need a new impellor, the "wings" are probably broken off or have "set" and not flexible enough as the impellor pump body is offset.

Oh, and if it's not peeing out water, I wouldn't be going trolling until it's fixed..right.

Edited by Fisherman

You sure it's just not fogging oil coming out thru the prop exhaust? My old 9.8 merc 2 stroke has a thermostat. Don't be too quick pulling things apart because it's not peeing.. and some motors don't like muffs! Grab a big garbage can.. trim the motor down as you stick it under it and fill it with water. Try again.. let it warm up...

Edited by irishfield

I probably had her going close to 10 mins with the muffs, I think that I'll wake up the neighbours in the morning with the garbage pail trick. Hope that it's just fogging oil, makes a lot of sense since this is the 1st startup this year and it's only around the prop, haven't noticed it in past years though.

jjcanoe

In case you need it .. I'll fourth that ... no peeing with muffs doesnt mean squat .. no peeing in water (tub or on lake) still might just be a little pine needle blocking things up ... if your impeller is pooched it is pooched its not a HUGE deal ... replace it as part of your tune up... the oil coming out is normal ... unless its a 4 stroke ... if you run it in a tub expect to see ALOT ... you normally don't notice it in the lake because it is flushed away by the prop ... but it is always there .... if you are replacing the lower end oil and its milky ... then you may have a seal issue ... but even then its not the end of the world ....I definitely wouldn't miss a fishing day over it :)

What he said!!! Also, make good and sure that the hose that is your 'telltale' is clear..mine is always full of bugs in the spring..

1. Did you actually remove the lower screw where you fill the lower gear oil and see milky white oil coming out of there? If you have milky white oil coming out of there, then I'm having great doubts that it was changed last fall. If not, then that oil you're seeing could be be oil and condensation mix coming out of the exhaust port.

At worst, there may be 3 seals, one behind the prop, one on the driveshaft where it goes into the lower unit from the top and on the shifter rod going into the lower unit.

2. If you blew air up the pee hole and there's no restriction, yes you need a new impellor, the "wings" are probably broken off or have "set" and not flexible enough as the impellor pump body is offset.

Oh, and if it's not peeing out water, I wouldn't be going trolling until it's fixed..right.

I have a 96 40 Mariner and no matter what I do, it won't pee with muffs on. Never has and prolly never will. Watch your exaust ports and see if water is coming out of there.......that's the water that is actually cooling the engine. The water coming out the tell-tale is just overflow, and shouldn't even get hot!

The oil is just fogging oil I bet. Take it for a run in the lake. That's the best way to see if everything is working. I don't even try mine on muffs anymore, I just go down the road and throw it in the lake.

S.

Thanks for all the help everyone! I've come to the conclusion that the gunk @ the exhaust is just a combo of fogging oil and me being overly paranoid! After sinking the motor in a garbage can full of water Saturday morning, my guess (along with all the way more knowledgeable guys around here)would be the impeller, so it's been dropped off at the boat doctor and I'm awaitng their call Monday morning while I'm on my way to Quebec!

Thanks

jjcanoe