Huron Trib Chromers ~ Pic's

solopaddler

Rumours of a fresh run of fish on a north Huron tributary had me scrambling to get my shift covered on Wednesday.

I worked 2pm Tuesday 'till 5am Wed morning and with gear already packed in the car I left straight from work bleary eyed with coffee in hand.

I had asked a couple of friends to join, but getting a day off midweek is difficult for most.

As it turned out I ran into several friends up there anyway. When there's a hot bite word spreads. :)

Arriving in the parking lot around 8 there were already a lot of cars there.

Undaunted I rigged up and made my way to the river.

Immediately I ran into my friend Dave (Wallacio on the board).

He had just blown a hot fish and seemed pumped.

I slipped downstream to find some room and ran into Robb Marquette and a friend of his. Robb makes the Riverkeeper/Frogwater float reels which I'm currently fishing.

As it turned out Robb's presence was a very happy coincidence for me as you'll see later..

Rumours were bang on and after slipping downstream into a favoured zone I hit a number of bright acrobatic steelhead.

HuronMar31-2010001.jpg

HuronMar31-2010002.jpg

HuronMar31-2010004.jpg

HuronMar31-2010009.jpg

Robb took this shot for me, he was a little wobbly with the camera. :)

HuronMar31-2010012.jpg

Robb and his buddy both hooked into a couple of fish just downstream from me as well:

HuronMar31-2010018.jpg

Seeing the action, Dave, wiley dog that he is, slipped downstream and was soon into one as well:

HuronMar31-2010014.jpg

HuronMar31-2010016.jpg

HuronMar31-2010017.jpg

While we were fishing a massive hatch of stoneflies started. They were fluttering everywhere, landing on our necks and arms and generally being a pita.

Dave quickly saw an opportunity and switched from roe to a black stone.

Success was immediate:

HuronMar31-2010021.jpg

HuronMar31-2010022.jpg

Dave hit a couple more fish before he had to leave for a work related meeting.

Before going he kindly handed me one of his magic flies :)

HuronMar31-2010033.jpg

Thanks buddy!

HuronMar31-2010007.jpg

HuronMar31-2010019.jpg

HuronMar31-2010024.jpg

HuronMar31-2010025.jpg

HuronMar31-2010030.jpg

HuronMar31-2010031.jpg

I had mentioned to Robb that my reel wasn't quite as smooth as it should be. Worn out from overuse was my excuse :D .

At the end of the day in the parking lot he asked if he could have a look at it.

In short order he disassembled it, cleaned it, removed my old bearings and replaced them with two new ones.

HuronMar31-2010035.jpg

Sweet! :thumbsup_anim:

Robb is a great guy to deal with folks.

The fact that he makes his reels right here in Ontario in small batches 100% by hand makes them a good choice for anyone who's in the market.

Obviously it was a day to remember. Perfect weather, chrome bright fish and good friends. It just doesn't get any better. :)

Cheers, Mike

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

sweet report! better make sure i've got some stonefly nymphs tucked away in my box! lol

let's hope the troutologist and i can get a few this weekend!

Yeah for sure, I never fish in Ontario. :rolleyes:

(Well actually truth be told I avoid the eastern ditches like the plague. I prefer to fish actual rivers.)

now now, settle down. no need to be-little the eastern tribs......... a steelhead is a steelhead ;)

Awesome report! That coffee you drank must have been as thick as syrup to keep you up on the drive. Does Robb work on brains too? Mine hasn't been running as smooth as it should. I think it's just a cobweb problem, and not the bearings.

Good job on the river!

It was good to see you again Mike - yesterday was definitely the highlight of my Spring Steelhead season. It really, really tough to tear myself away for that meeting!

Something tells me that tackle/fly shops in the province are soon going to be sold out of Stonefly numphs :P

As for the pattern, I was using a couple different ones. The one with the copper wire rib is a small Montana Stone pattern. The larger one is a standard pattern that's available at most shops (known as Kaufmann's Stonefly nymph - just Google it.). Bead head, rubber legs, turkey quill wingcases).

Edited by wallacio

It was good to see you again Mike - yesterday was definitely the highlight of my Spring Steelhead season. It really, really tough to tear myself away for that meeting!

Something tells me that tackle/fly shops in the province are soon going to be sold out of Stonefly numphs :P

As for the pattern, I was using a couple different ones. The one with the copper wire rib is a small Montana Stone pattern. The larger one is a standard pattern that's available at most shops (known as Kaufmann's Stonefly nymph - just Google it.). Bead head, rubber legs, turkey quill wingcases).

Excellent...lots of Kaufmans in my box....I'll have to tie up some montanas for tomorrow!

Awesome report! That coffee you drank must have been as thick as syrup to keep you up on the drive. Does Robb work on brains too? Mine hasn't been running as smooth as it should. I think it's just a cobweb problem, and not the bearings.

Good job on the river!

By 4:30 I was getting loopy from lack of sleep.

No co-ordination...stumbling around tripping over everything from exhaustion LOL!

Totally worth it though. :)

[quote name='solopaddler' date='01 April 2010 - 10:44 AM' Seeing the action, Dave, wiley dog that he is, slipped downstream and was soon into one as well:

When done in a run it is referred to as "low-holing" and a very big no-no, actually grounds for an unexpected dip. ;)

nice fish, nice reels, great day! I'll leave the beers for you.