wheres a good spot to try for brookies

mr blizzard

:wallbash::wallbash: I don't know where to go, my 14 year old wants to try for them. we are in Simcoe county, this fishing is new to me, I feel so inept. :tease::wallbash: .

Lake, river or stream and how far do you want to drive? Haliburton and Bancroft areas have stocked public lakes with readily available lists online.

As for rivers or streams in Southern Ontario, good luck finding anyone willing to divulge that.

Hey Blizzard,

I live over toward Lake Huron in the Saugeen River watershed. PM me and I can give a few hints for locating brookies a little closer to home for you. Most of the brookies around here are resident, not stocked, if that plays into your decision at all.

Almost every river & creek around Orangeville and Shelburn has brook trout in them. This link lists some of the bigger trout rivers worth trying but there are a dozen other brook trout creeks close by that are not listed. Try http://www.anglerspro.ca/html/the_area.html

The season opens on the 4th Saturday in April. Check the regulations for any special rules on these rivers and help keep our river fishery great by cleaning up your garbage and practice catch and release.

Almost every river & creek around Orangeville and Shelburn has brook trout in them. This link lists some of the bigger trout rivers worth trying but there are a dozen other brook trout creeks close by that are not listed. Try http://www.anglerspro.ca/html/the_area.html

The season opens on the 4th Saturday in April. Check the regulations for any special rules on these rivers and help keep our river fishery great by cleaning up your garbage and practice catch and release.

Good to see you on this forum Graham!

My brother is hooked on brook trout so i kno a bit about the subject. The Beaver river, mad river and the upper credit are 3 good bets. I d start on the upper credit since its easiest to locate, anywhre above cataract falls is good. CLoser than haliburton too. If u want lakes tho u ll probly have to go up to haliburton area. I d suggest going to a river though because although the fish are generally smaller theyre a lot easier to catch and on a decent day u can get a easy 20, possibly much more. Mostly little but really nice looking fish and there is the odd big fella as well. People mostly fly fish for them in rivers but usually i do just as well with a small spinner or spoon. Basic, natural colors i believe would be best. Good luck. If u d like i can give u more specific locations on these rivers, pm me.

There are special regulations on parts of the Credit and Grand river. Special regs Summary - Single Barbless Hook Only, No Organic bait and Catch and release on trout. In the MNR fishing regs book check the exceptions to the rules section under these two rivers for more details.

wallbash.gifwallbash.gif I don't know where to go, my 14 year old wants to try for them. we are in Simcoe county, this fishing is new to me, I feel so inept. tease.gifwallbash.gif .

Creek! one of the best ways to get them out there! look for: log jams, holes, over hanging banks, over hanging trees/brush. use: plain hook and split shot, baited with a worm, or find some little spinners to hook on for some flash! works wonders up here!

believe me im not the only one who fishes the creeks up here but i do go the farthest and get the biggest lol...

by the way, it would be ideal if the creek was spring fed or is well oxyginated with some cold water!

good luck!

There are special regulations on parts of the Credit and Grand river. Special regs Summary - Single Barbless Hook Only, No Organic bait and Catch and release on trout. In the MNR fishing regs book check the exceptions to the rules section under these two rivers for more details.

right, forgot to mention that. No brookies in the grand tho only browns.

Mr Blizzard.

As you know we can't go after brookies till the end of the April you have lots of time to explore any good spots up in your neck of the woods. I cannot tell you of any one good spot as I plan to be there.But there are lots of specks in Lake Eugina in early spring .The boyne ,beaver and the noisy river are also nice spots. :Gonefishing: