Mikwam Cochrane Air

mike2366

My son and I are heading to Mikwam Lake with Cochrane Air late May into June. Can anybody give me some information on what to expect. How is the cabin? How is the pike and walleye fishing? Anything special that I need to take. Any fishing spots or techniques would be appreciated. This will be my 10 year olds first experience like this and I want it to be one he will never forget. Thanks.

Mike

never been to Mikwam, but from fly in fishing experience, I don't take much tackle

twister tail jigs (yellow, white, green), stick baits (husky jerk, walley diver) and spoons (don't leave out the spoons, great for pike and you'd be surprised how many walleye will hit the spoon)

I'm going to Magaskin in August so I'll be interested to hear your experience. As for tackle I always pack lots of 3"-4" white twister tales and 1/8 and 1/4 ounce black jig heads. I've found they work great when all esle fails. Spoons re-hooked with single hooks are great for ripping weeds for pike. Good luck! Took my boy on his first trip around that age.

Hey, how are you? I have been flying in with Cochrane Air for 20 years.. Never been to Mikwam though.. I heard its a great lake, as I think all of their lakes are nice.. TAKE LOTS OF MINNOWS, LIVE MINNOWS.. Last year we fished Yesterday Lodge, used 120 dozen of live minnows.. There were 4 of us and we caught about 750-800 walleye each.... I am tanking my 10 year old next summer.. Going back to Yesterday.. We love the lake and set up at Yesterday!!! We are not going this year, due to cash.. Cannot afford to go every year anymore... Anyways, if you have any questions, PM ME... Here are 2 reports on Mikwam Lake....

MIKWAM LAKE 1

MIKWAM LAKE 2

I'm going to Magaskin in August so I'll be interested to hear your experience. As for tackle I always pack lots of 3"-4" white twister tales and 1/8 and 1/4 ounce black jig heads. I've found they work great when all esle fails. Spoons re-hooked with single hooks are great for ripping weeds for pike. Good luck! Took my boy on his first trip around that age.

Edited by beerman

• 1 month later...

Hey, how are you? I have been flying in with Cochrane Air for 20 years.. Never been to Mikwam though.. I heard its a great lake, as I think all of their lakes are nice.. TAKE LOTS OF MINNOWS, LIVE MINNOWS.. Last year we fished Yesterday Lodge, used 120 dozen of live minnows.. There were 4 of us and we caught about 750-800 walleye each.... I am tanking my 10 year old next summer.. Going back to Yesterday.. We love the lake and set up at Yesterday!!! We are not going this year, due to cash.. Cannot afford to go every year anymore... Anyways, if you have any questions, PM ME... Here are 2 reports on Mikwam Lake....

You used 120 minnows and caught 2400 fish?

It's earlier in the season ya don't need minnows. If you are totally afraid and some dinners depend on fish...bring worms and bottom bounce them on a slow troll. Minnows need to be in water and if I were to bring any liquid it would be beer!! Cans weigh less. It's all about weight. If you are near the weight they will let a few pounds go.

Walleye shouldn't be a problem jigging or trolling. They will be in shallow 4ish ft of water...then again most lakes up there don't get past a dozen ft. Large pike you will have to work for..look for weeds and some type of lure that will bang er up in there. Could be a buzz bait, large sluggo, weedless spoon.

Yes, we used 120 dozen of minnows. Call Mark, ask him? We order 120 dozen of minnows every time we go. We take in 2 air rators, and 3 floating minnow buckets. This keeps all minnows alive. Never had a problem. We also go early , first week of June, and worms work, but not like minnows... We use a jig and minnow, catch all the fish you want, all day long.. I have been to Yesterday lake 3 times, Floodwood 3 times, Unknown lake 2 times, Twopeak lake 3 times, Sand, Edgar, French,etc... I never fished mikwam, we are thinking of booking that lake for next year.... How many other lakes can you get to from Mikwam? And how is the fishing?

Oh yea, we are always overweight.. We call Mark ahead of time and order our beer.. We always take in 3-4 cases per man... Its a vacation, no need to worry about weight..

Edited by beerman

Agreed on the minnows especially early and late in the season.

If you're a resident of ON you can bring a few traps and catch your own.

That's what I've always done on fly ins. A lot lighter than flying in mass quantities of minnows.

• 3 weeks later...