Buying a new boat

Banger68

After a couple years of looking I think I'm finally going live a dream of mine to buy my first new boat. :thumbsup_anim: I'd like to get opinions/discussion on a few things.

This will not be just a fishing boat but also a family boat (skiing, tubing, and cruising) I boat in Lake Erie (bit in Lake Ontario, and Huron), the Kawarthas, and in some small lakes up on the Bruce Pen. So I've decided that 17'-18', full windshield, and rear folding bench are some of the main options that I need. I've think I've narrowed it down to three.

Sylvan Explorer Sport

Legend 18 Xcalibur

Princecraft Super Sport

Anybody have experience/own these?

For the next while I will be towing with a minivan, and is one of the reasons I’m staying with an aluminum boat. It has the tow package and the boats are well within its tow rating. Anybody have problems at launch ramps with FWD with this kind of weight?

I’m planning on getting a 115 hp Optimax or E-Tec. That should give me plenty power for a day out fishing or water sports. Anybody have experience on maintaining these engines? I keep getting conflicting reports on what has to been done for each brand.

Welcome any experience/opinions. This is a big deal for me and I do not want to get something I regret in a couple years.

Thanks

Bill

as for the front wheel drive on the launches----no problem

i had a 17'skeeter bass boat with a 150 on it and i have a 25'chriscraft deep V hull with a 15o on it and i never have a problem with my mini van-fwd only.

as for the boat my choice would be an 18' V hull bow rider.

theres more room for the family with the open bow.

full windshield with a camper top on it so you can get up and walk around.

as for the motor there both good motors, just make sure you dont under power it.

if its rated for 140 dont go below 115.

a lot of dealers will advertise a boat thats rated for a 140 but put a 50 or 75 on it to keep the price low to attract

the buyers.

as for the boat my choice would be an 18' V hull bow rider.

theres more room for the family with the open bow.

full windshield with a camper top on it so you can get up and walk around.

as for the motor there both good motors, just make sure you dont under power it.

if its rated for 140 dont go below 115.

a lot of dealers will advertise a boat thats rated for a 140 but put a 50 or 75 on it to keep the price low to attract

the buyers.

All three are bow riders that convert into fishing platforms. I've been trying to make sure I don't fall into the underpower trap. But the next step up from 115 seems to be a $$$ one.

Of the 3 Princecraft Super Sport

hands down

I agree that it appears to be the better finished boat. But the 17' doesn't have proper rod storage which I found odd. But is it $3k-$4k better? Not sure. Do you own one?

Edited by Banger68

I towed and launched various similiar sized boats for years with a mini-van. I never really had a problem (excepting the first time I launched at the rough ramp at the end of my road, that required a tow-truck), but after 9 years now with a 4x4 pick-up, I wouldn't want to use anything else anymore. Nothing worse than arriving at a rougher looking ramp than expected and having to wonder...

I too have been in the market for boats, and my wife has given the go ahead, just research. Look at the alumacraft trophy 185 or the 195, truly an awsome boat. I have my sights on the 195 trophy. The legend is nice and deep and has me looking as well.

I too have been in the market for boats, and my wife has given the go ahead, just research. Look at the alumacraft trophy 185 or the 195, truly an awsome boat. I have my sights on the 195 trophy. The legend is nice and deep and has me looking as well.

I've been comparing for a couple years now. It's hard to find a boat that does all well. Tough to get a balance, The Alumacraft do not suit the non-fishing mode as well as the boats I mentioned. The Sylvan, Legend, and the Princecraft are all very close in dimensions. Have a look.

Edited by Banger68

Awesome time for sure - have just done this myself and settled on a Proanger Xl from smokercraft (note thier deal was exceptional and got the price I demanded) - looked at all listed (not same model as i fish Kawartha lakes exclusively so I wanted a little smaller - I purchased through Port colbourne - Dan - can not say enough about them or the service on this boat or the last

Legend Boats we have Henry Nguyen on this site who works for them - great guy and will give you his best as well.

Good luck and post some pictures

Awesome time for sure - have just done this myself and settled on a Proanger Xl from smokercraft (note thier deal was exceptional and got the price I demanded) - looked at all listed (not same model as i fish Kawartha lakes exclusively so I wanted a little smaller - I purchased through Port colbourne - Dan - can not say enough about them or the service on this boat or the last

Legend Boats we have Henry Nguyen on this site who works for them - great guy and will give you his best as well.

Good luck and post some pictures

I have been talking to Dan at Port Colbourne on some of the Sylvans they have.

Sylvan Explorer Sport

Legend 18 Xcalibur

Princecraft Super Sport

Anybody have experience/own these?

No, but I own a Crestliner and know that you won't be sorry if you look at one of these: http://www.crestliner.com/sport-angler-sport-fishing-boat-1750/

Good luck!!

Jim

Edited by Radnine

I bought a 16' explorer last year and am plenty happy with it but don't discount Starcraft. They make a heck of a nice boat. I would have been my first choice except it had to have a black motor

No, but I own a Crestliner and know that you won't be sorry if you look at one of these: http://www.crestliner.com/sport-angler-sport-fishing-boat-1750/

Good luck!!

Jim

I did look at Crestliner. But it like others doesn't convert to a cruise/watersport aswell as the three I mentioned. The Super Hawk was probably 4th on my list. They look like a real nice fishing boat though.

Edited by Banger68

I bought a 16' explorer last year and am plenty happy with it but don't discount Starcraft. They make a heck of a nice boat. I would have been my first choice except it had to have a black motor

I'll have to go have a look. they have a model that suits my need. Didn't notice it at the boat show.

I have owned a Sylvan Pro select 19, for 15 years now and it has not given me one once of trouble, and I use this thing in Lake Ontario, Lake Erie and the Kawartha's and I can't say enough good things about this boat. Sylvan and Smoker Craft both come out of the same plant so quality is very comparable. As for towing, the best advice I can give you as a mechanic is to have a good quality transmission cooler mounted, and service the trans regularly as the transmission will be the weak link when towing comes into play. Good luck on your search and pick what boat gives you what you want for features and layout.

Have you looked into a tracker targa 17?? great fishing family boat.. did a lot of research and i'm switching from a legend 16 to a targa 17 go online and check the specks before u make a deision!!

I was looking at an 18 combo at Bass Pro on Sat. It has the little jump seats at the side instead of bench. All of these little seats were not well padded and probably uncomfy if it is a little rough. It did not have any enclosed rod storage (thought wass odd on a Tracker) and the sides were pretty wavvy where they were welded to the transom.

But they do have alot little touches that are nice and it come with 4 removable seats.

As for towing, the best advice I can give you as a mechanic is to have a good quality transmission cooler mounted, and service the trans regularly as the transmission will be the weak link when towing comes into play.

My van has the tow package with the aux tranny and oil cooler. But I fully agree and would never tow without the tranny cooler.