Late Ice Brookies

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

On Sunday I headed out with one of the usual suspects to chase some late winter square tails. After a brief detour to ascertain some forgotten snowshoes, we were headed out of town by 5 am. By 9 am we were fishing. Things started off slow but true to form, this lake produced the first speck shortly after 10 am.

P1130671.jpg

Fish were very selective in the early a.m. taking only jigged presentations tipped with minnows. From 11 am until 1 pm fishing was fairly steady and we managed to ice several chunky fish - including a 2lber and a 3+ I lost fumbling with it at the hole. Note to self, keep camera closer.

P1130613.jpg

P1130610.jpg

P1130607.jpg

P1130609.jpg

P1130598.jpg

Throughout the day we had regular visitors...these whiskeyjacks kept stealing our lunch and bait...

P1130663.jpg

P1130640.jpg

It was a pretty good day. Tomorrow is pinnin' for steel and ice fishing for brookies! Good luck this weekend folks!

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Beauty fish!

Some guys at work were telling me they did really well last weekend up in the park too.

Now I'm definitely going up to the park this weekend, suppose to be be -14 in Wawa tonight, should tighten everything up pretty good!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
It was if you were walking...nice fish

PS...I liked the "not a soul in sight" comment :rolleyes:

you mean the crowds don't hike 15km in a day by snowshoe to fish?

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i don't know if any of y'all noticed, but i'm wearing my adidas. not to often can you wear shoes in your snowshoes, then wear your kicks all day on the lake. beauty day indeed wd.

you mean the crowds don't hike 15km in a day by snowshoe to fish?

15 k or 15 yards, there just aren't the crowds up here. Most places, cept for haviland and trout lake, you get the lake to yourself

And don't be too sad about losing the 3 lber...they ain't all that good a eating anyway

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Hey, in one of your pics I saw Mr. Williams on the ice.....is that your secret weapon?? LOL!

My secret weapon that day was a swedish pimple tipped with a full dace however my fishing partners secret is an old battered williams that was his grandfathers. He always uses it! On days when he's outfishing me he'll often tell me that "yours is missing the tarnish"...

My secret weapon that day was a swedish pimple tipped with a full dace however my fishing partners secret is an old battered williams that was his grandfathers. He always uses it! On days when he's outfishing me he'll often tell me that "yours is missing the tarnish"...

Yah I kinda noticed it looked like one of the vintage ones......Which are diifferently shaped if you look at them closely!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Beauty specks Dr...

Im looking forward to seeing some of your steelhead pics this spring.

TDunn

hopefully i can get some this evening...you had any luck yet?

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Yep landed the first one on march 18 this year....

I'll be in the rapids this evening after class, you heading north?

yeah i'm gonna go check out in and around where you and pikeie were last week.