Destruction of a fishery

bigugli

<_< I know that we are after the owner who did this but the ministry should also nail the contractors. They should know better while working around water.We had to place filter cloth around our job site and we were at least 500 feet from any water source.I own around 600 feet of water and a bit of the community pond and I believe in leaving it alone. We have plenty of small fish living around the broken trees and rocks and things are just the way they should be.

We finally heard back from the NPCA and they have taken the 'hands off' approach.

According to them, the damage was done over 6 months ago and there is nothing they can do about it now. Sounds like the "3 Monkeys" are on the job.

You can also call the city as it would be a violation of the Flood and Fill Lines. The NPCA doesn't have much teeth anyway. The MNR and others do, though.

Property is bordering the 2 municipalities. The house is St Caths, the pond is Lincoln, and Lincoln and its council are as clueless as it gets. They regularly cut down growth along the water's edge and drain down the pond to better facilitate the Canada Day fireworks. They also permit beach bonfires that are destroying the root systems of the bushes and scrub that hold the dune together.

Property is bordering the 2 municipalities. The house is St Caths, the pond is Lincoln, and Lincoln and its council are as clueless as it gets. They regularly cut down growth along the water's edge and drain down the pond to better facilitate the Canada Day fireworks. They also permit beach bonfires that are destroying the root systems of the bushes and scrub that hold the dune together.

The dune was destroyed 50yrs ago when the original camp ground was built not to mention the QEW and 2 service roads.This hardly an example of an original dune ecosystem, are we talking about the same area here?There has been developement on this piece of land longer then I've been on this planet,it is now a municipal park setting hardly a protected natural area.I think the chain saws, lawn mowers and weed whips are doing more damage to the scrub brush then a few bonfires.For years this area was a private campground which was given to the town of Lincoln who have kept it as a day use park and beach area.

Edited by canadadude

The dune was destroyed 50yrs ago when the original camp ground was built not to mention the QEW and 2 service roads.This hardly an example of an original dune ecosystem, are we talking about the same area here?There has been developement on this piece of land longer then I've been on this planet,it is now a municipal park setting hardly a protected natural area.I think the chain saws, lawn mowers and weed whips are doing more damage to the scrub brush then a few bonfires.For years this area was a private campground which was given to the town of Lincoln who have kept it as a day use park and beach area.

No not original, but had been allowed to revert to a more natural state over the past 15 or so years. This is part of what was envisaged for the wetland and the pond when the NPCA turned the lands over to Lincoln. It does not appear as though the current council really wants to follow through.

Just a wee bump.

If you could please take the time to contact your MPP or the MPP's for the area to express your concern it would further the cause and put some pressure to bear.

[email protected]

[email protected]

Possibly voice your concern to the MNR or OFAH.

It takes action on our parts to ensure this does not get put in the closet.

Did anyone suggest dropping a hint to the local news media? There's usually someone with the public ear/eye who's hot to stir the pot, especially if it can be used to embarrass the govt.

JF

Running off to the media before any real investigations have begun would seem counterproductive, for the timing.If things stall sure, but the moment the cameras start rolling folks focus on striking poses and CYA rather than investigating.

At this time I can say that the NPCA will now be initiating an investigation. We have managed to direct a number of public complaints in their direction from concerned outdoors enthusiasts :thumbsup_anim: . The MNR and the DFO are already investigating. The violations are just too visibly blatant to ignore.

Letters and e-mails from good fisher folk certainly help. :clapping:

Thanks for caring gang.

Edited by bigugli

Contact the DFO they have the highest juristrition and can and have charged other levels of the government including CA's and the MNR.

What he said. Save yourself the time and don't even bother with anybody else. DFO is the highest power.

Running off to the media before any real investigations have begun would seem counterproductive, for the timing.If things stall sure, but the moment the cameras start rolling folks focus on striking poses and CYA rather than investigating.

At this time I can say that the NPCA will now be initiating an investigation. We have managed to direct a number of public complaints in their direction from concerned outdoors enthusiasts :thumbsup_anim: . The MNR and the DFO are already investigating. The violations are just too visibly blatant to ignore.

Letters and e-mails from good fisher folk certainly help. :clapping:

Thanks for caring gang.

Sorry. I agree. I thought someone had posted that Niagara Parks wasn't interested in getting involved because of the time that had passed since the damage was done. Glad to hear they're still in the game.

JF

"Running off to the media before any real investigations have begun would seem counterproductive, for the timing.If things stall sure, but the moment the cameras start rolling folks focus on striking poses and CYA rather than investigating.

At this time I can say that the NPCA will now be initiating an investigation. We have managed to direct a number of public complaints in their direction from concerned outdoors enthusiasts . The MNR and the DFO are already investigating. The violations are just too visibly blatant to ignore."

I actually disagree with this. Media attention will increase the response and awareness of the levels of enforcement. The managers that direct the investigators will never want to look poorly in the public eye. Good media coverage will ensure action will be taken and not just warnings.

I would definately suggest contacting the local news station and newspapers. Public awareness will increase focus on this issue and will trigger other agencies that might be intrested in this shoddy work.

Political knee jerk reactions can be very effective when they think they are being held accoutable to the public.

You would be surprised what they are willing to ignore unless the public is watching.

Edited by Michael Brown

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

the DFO is the highest power, but these matters of compliance and enforcement are often handled by provincial ministries but enforced under federal legislation.

"Running off to the media before any real investigations have begun would seem counterproductive,

I actually disagree with this. Media attention will increase the response and awareness of the levels of enforcement. The managers that direct the investigators will never want to look poorly in the public eye. Good media coverage will ensure action will be taken and not just warnings.

I would definately suggest contacting the local news station and newspapers. Public awareness will increase focus on this issue and will trigger other agencies that might be intrested in this shoddy work.

Political knee jerk reactions can be very effective when they think they are being held accoutable to the public.

Unfortunately Michael, I think our friend, Susan Irving has already figgered this out...

Edited by Jer

Left messages with NPCA. DFO is steaming. I'm chasing MNR red tape. Think a call to the media may be next on the agenda.

Good work and thank you for taking action if everyone responded to situations like this the way u did this kind of thing would never happen. Hopefully it also sets a good example for everyone who reads this, so they know how to respond if they ever see this sort of thing. I d also like ot point out that i saw the before and after pictures and i dont know why anyone would prefer that lifeless muddy hill to such a nice habitat full of life, and fish! Im sure they plan to make it nicer but still it was perfect the way it was, a little dirt trail down to the water is all they needed to have a beautiful property. Maybe they have different tastes than me but none the less harming the fisheries and environment is unacceptable. Keep up the good work.