NF - BBQ question

Flappn

Hey all, no this is not about fishing and I don't post much that's not fishing but I am a little miffed about this one. I have a Centro (Crappy tire brand) BBQ

that is made to run on Natural Gas. I have just moved and now looking to convert it to propane. I am being told this is not possible and that the actual controls

are different and so on so it can't be done.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I was under the assumption it can be done as we did it to my parents a few years ago. Does the newer ones maybe not

have the ability? It's about 6 years old now.........

Any help would be greatly appreciated with the warm weather it sucks having no que!!

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will step up but in the meantime here's my experience. I bought a new BBQ a couple of years ago. It was set up for propane but came with a gas conversion kit. It was easy to switch. If memory serves it involved changing the fuel orifices and the regulator. I suspect the real question is whether or not the proper orifices are available for your unit.

JF

You will need valves, regulator and hose. Problem is on most of those private label brands spare parts are slim to none. Suggest you take the valves out and take them to a BBQ parts dealer in your area, (not Cdn Tire), and see what they can come up with but don't have too high expectations. You may need to leave this one on natural gas.

Well i was thinking the same thing just in case I moved and gas wasn't available and here is what they say:

Dang I have the biggest model but I didn't pay for it. When the time comes I guess I'll have to sell it or leave it with the house.

WARNING

ALL Centro BBQ’s are sold either NATURAL GAS or PROPANE READY and are not convertible from one gas

source to another.

To confirm that your BBQ is in fact a Natural Gas model, please check the following:

1. Serial number located on the rear rating plate

2. Cart bottom panel must not have a space for a propane tank

3. Cross reference the serial number on the front cover of your user manual with the serial number found on the

rating plate

4. Confirm that your BBQ model was shipped with a Natural Gas hose and quick connect, and NOT a LP hose and

regulator.

5. Confirm the model number indicated in the bottom right corner of the rating plate. This number should begin

with a G.

the only difference between a natural gas bbq and propane are the size of the orifices. the 'home expert' can switch in one direction by drilling out the orifices to a larger size, and back by banging the orifice closed with a ballpien hammer and then drilling a smaller hole. and of course compatiblilty with the cylinder. :whistling: however i certainly wouldn't suggest you do this.....

the only difference between a natural gas bbq and propane are the size of the orifices. the 'home expert' can switch in one direction by drilling out the orifices to a larger size, and back by banging the orifice closed with a ballpien hammer and then drilling a smaller hole. and of course compatiblilty with the cylinder. :whistling: however i certainly wouldn't suggest you do this.....

I worked with some gas fitters years ago and when they installed gas to a house they would drill out the orifices a bit bigger to suit natural gas. They told me that to go back to propane you had to get a new orifice. Thats the only changes they made. It depended on the customers attitude weather or not they would charge them for the "conversion"

I can see the BBQ companies saying you can't convert them. How else would they sell you a new BBQ

I worked with some gas fitters years ago and when they installed gas to a house they would drill out the orifices a bit bigger to suit natural gas. They told me that to go back to propane you had to get a new orifice. Thats the only changes they made. It depended on the customers attitude weather or not they would charge them for the "conversion"

I can see the BBQ companies saying you can't convert them. How else would they sell you a new BBQ

My brother is a licensed gas fitter and used to do this part time for extra cash until his supplier caught on and wouldn't sell him any parts :o :o

Flappn,

There is no issue with the controls, they would not need to be changed. What you need to do is order a propane conversion kit for the BBQ. It will consist of a set of orfices, probably in the #54 - #56 range for propane. It should also come with a hose/regulator attachment that threads into your control body (the knobs). The orfices would also be located on the valve body, down near the mixing chamber where the valve meets your burner. Would take no more than a half hour to convert it, and would probably cost you $60 to $80 for the parts. I am a gasfitter as well as a plumber, we do this all the time when people relocate to new homes.

Also, usually when you order a natural gas BBQ, it will come with the propane orfices. Did you get a bag with some little brass parts that look like hex nuts when you ordered the BBQ? If you did, all you need to do is go buy a propane regulator and hose.

I would never recommend hammering an orfice closed to drill a new hole, or drilling out a new orfice. If you go to big, it could cause a very dangerous situation, and for the price of an orfice, it is not worth it in my opinion.

Good Luck!

Shawn

Edited by raptorfan