Disposing of Lead Sinkers

torco

Hi All,

I have be doing a little spring cleaning and have some really old lead sinkers I want to get rid of but was not sure what the best way is? Can I put them in the garbage? Should I bring them my hazardous waste centre?

Also I have old fishing line does anyone know if I can bring it to my recycling centre?

Thanks for any info.

I normally save up all the non-reusable split shots that I use for my steelheading or really beaten up egg sinkers. At the end of each trip I have a small bucket to put them in. During the winter, I give them to a couple guys who pour their own leads and get some new ones back. Recycling at its best :D

For line, I'm not sure if stores still collect used line but it's worth a shot calling your local tackle shop to see if they do. If I remember correctly, Berkley used to make plastic fish condos for bass to spawn in with the recycled line. Most of my old line is saved and used for backing on my big carp baitrunner reels.

Edited by MJL

Find someone who pours their own sinkers and donate the lead to them. Quite a few specialty fishing shops participate in used fishing line recycling.

Call them to find out if they participate or not. The lead can be dropped off at local landfills in the hazardous waste section. Just be sure to mark it as lead.

I forgot that birds love led shot...lol...just kidding and seriously thanks for the responses back. If anyone in tne guelph area wants to pick up lead. Shoot me a PM in the next week or so. I guess otherwise I will take them to hazardous waste depot.

I'll try my local tackle shop for the line as well.

Not to Hijack the thread but i never thought of some of you guys needing lead, i run into some from water lines once in a while most of the stuff i have had in the past went to hunters for making their own bullets, if i find some more i will post it and see if someone wants it. It's just one of those things i see lots of and never think it might be hard for the average guy to find.