Keel guards

mistaredone

Last season I spent alot of time fishing a lake with a beach launch and only realised at the end of the season the damage I had done to my keel on my fiberglass boat.

Keel.jpg

Im looking at getting a keel guard for this season and was wondering if I should repair the keel before aplying the keel guard? Also I was wondering if anyone had a cheeper solution they have used rather than buying a Keel Shield at bass pro for $140. The price seems crazy of 6' of sticky plastic.

Thanks

well you definatley need to fix that keel first..

as for a protector i dont know but im sure that one of the senior members will help, you out.

like an Imperial Angler with 15,930 posts......LOL

:angel:

Edited by skeeter

If you're beaching a fiberglass boat you do need a keel guard/keel shield. The keel guard is the more expensive version but can't tell you why. I've always had a keel guard on my glass boats. I'm not sure if the keel needs to be repaired as the guard will actually cover that area. I do know that they should be professionally installed, they use some special glues to keep them fastened. I had one come loose on a bassboat and the dealer didn't want to touch it, they got a company rep fix it.

I went with the Keel Shield when I bought my new glass boat last year and so far I'm very happy with it. Fortunately I don't normally have to beach my boat, but I spend alot of time on both Stoney and the West Bay of Nippissing so it's nice to know it'll be there if I ever accidentely troll across one of those unseen islands :o

Very easy to install as long as you follow the instructions EXACTLY and do it on a warm day.

I bought mine from Genco Marine on the Toronto waterfront.

http://www.gencomarine.com/