Paint & septic tanks

lew

I've got a bit of painting to do here in the new place and I'm buying the paint today, but a thought just crossed my mind as I was sitting here making out my shopping list, and I'm not sure of the answer.

I'm using Latex and in the city I always just washed out the gear with water in the laundry tubs, but now I'm on a septic system and I'm thinking perhaps the paint will harm the system or mess up the natural process that takes place in there ??

Do I find a puddle outside to wash the brushes, or will the septic be OK with a bit of diluted Latex paint being run thru it ??

I did a quick Google search (septic systems and paint) on it Lew and found there are many opposing opinions on this.

This question and answer came from allexperts.com

Plumbing in the Home - latex paint in septic system

Question: what will cleaning latex paint from brushes do to a septic system?

Answer: Well Greg, Considering no chemicals should go into a septic system, Any thing beside human waste causes the bacterial growth to die off, and then there is nothing left to get rid of the waste. I do not think a one time brush cleaning is going to ruin your septic system, but I would not make a habit out of it!! Hope this helps!

I've been a house painter for 15 years, and have cleaned thousands of brushes and rollers into my septic system with no ill effects. Now, I'm not saying that paint is not harmfull to the system, however I really dont think that you, cleaning out a few rollers/brushes will be a problem at all. What you can do is scrape out all the excess paint from the roller sleeve(a roller can hold about a cup of paint even after it "feels" dry). then drop them into a bucket of water and clean them in there.

you can wash a few rollers in each bucket of clean water, just do a final rinse in a sink.

good luck with the painting.....welcome to my world.

Thanks boyz, I thought I'd be OK but just wanted to be sure.

I'm not a big fan of painting, infact I'd rather do just about anything else around the house, so I'll do a GOOD job now and that should do me for a few years.........hopefully :lol:

And Spiel, thanks for that link, looks like some good reading in there.

Edited by lew

Mornin lew

Here is a few tips that might help. I usually use the roller or brushes for the day and then wrap it in plastic and put it in the refrigerator for the next days use. After all of the painting is done I discard the roller and only clean up the handle assembly and brushes. If you want to you also can preclean the brushes and rollers in a 5 gallon bucket and then let it stand for a day and just pour off the liquid, wipe out the bucket and discard the paper.

Art

Morning Art

I do the same with wrapping the brushes and rollers in plastic and keeping them in the fridge when I'm gonna use the same color the next day, then discard the roller and replace with new.

The Mrs gets abit upset though when I take an extended break from painting something and forget the stuff is in the fridge for a couple weeks :lol:

Lew I have a septic system and have lived here for 20 years now, I always was out my paint brushes in the laundry tub, ya it goes right into the septic system. No idea what style of system you have, there are a few different type of septic systems.

I have an aeration system, it has a motor that has a long hollow shaft that pumps air into the stew and stirs it to help it break down, it also has a pump that pumps out the gray water(waste). Depending on the pump brand they are tough, mine uses a cast iron Hydromatic pump with an easily replaceable float switch, some float switches are built in and not easy to replace. My pumps have never failed, the float switch a few times. It never fails either, they have a habit for me of failing on the start of a long holiday weekend, late at night, whenever it may take a day or two for a service guy to show.

I keep a spare pump and float switch on hand and change them out myself. Nothing that won`t rot should go into the drains, plastic, some diaper wipes, cigarette filters, they can clog the system. I don`t have a sink disposer, just seemed like a good idea to limit what I was putting down the sink with a septic system. I compost most of my kitchen scraps.

Some builders cover the septic systems, bury them, makes no sense to me, sure it hides them, but adds to the expense of repairs, the first step requires a backhoe to uncover them, it can make repairs pricey.

Food for thought.

I’m not sure how good an idea it is to put any form of chemical down the drain; especially a septic system. Like the others have said, it likely won’t hurt the system itself? But with septic systems we’re relying on the ground to clean and filter the waist water; not like a city’s or town’s water treatment plants. (as good as they are?)

Sure latex is water soluble but that doesn’t mean that the hardeners, thickeners and whatever chemicals magically disappear. (out of site out of mind?)

Sooner or later those chemicals, if allowed to stay in a liquid form, will enter the ground water (your well) or the lake.

What I’ve read was to allow the paint or wash water to dry out and harden and then it is supposedly safe to be thrown in the garbage? Even that only sounds like the better of the two evils but what else are we to do with it?

I know we could go on and on about what kind of environmental impact that would have on the land fills; but that’s what some are advising to do?

Just my thoughts; I don't mean tp preach, so do as you please; but I was raised on a farm and have seen what the chemicals can do to the ground water. The irrigation pond produced some very weird looking multi colored fish. LOL

I understand we’re only talking about very small amounts here, compared to farming but its still chemicals getting into the ground water?

Dan

Another good tip for latex paint is when your done and have to cap the paint "can" put a plastic bag over the can opening (flat) and then apply the tin cover...this makes a much better seal and that paint can will be good for many more years to come...of course some paints are now only available with plastic cans that have screw on caps.