Ice Conditions on Simcoe??

I was out yesterday morning at Willow Beach area for perch -1-1.5 km from shore. Still at least 20 inches of ice but starting to get soft, power auger went through it quickly. Still cars, trucks, sleds and ATV's on the ice. I parked on shore and walked out. Still a bit of snow on top. High traffic area had a bit of water and ruts. Perch was slow, kept 11 in 4 hours, put back maybe 4, missed a few. Fished 3 different areas 20-30 FOW. Got most on a gold spoon. Like to get out one more time next week for the perch depending on conditions.

Guest gbfisher

Trucks still going out to Slyville...although the sun is really doing a number on the ice. I'll bet they will be driving out till the end of the season on Monday if we don't get to much rain. I wouldnt. Im not up there everyday and cannot say for sure its safe. Lots of bad spots all over the lake. Some good spots still. :dunno:

Edited by gbfisher

a friend in Innsifil told me that the access at the 8th line is bad and watch out for big holes from the removed huts

the access at the 4th and 3rd looks real bad and have a fair bit of ice jamming up 15 ft from shore

I think I am done for this year

I just drove in off the lake an hour ago. The access is getting tricky now, I wouldn't use the one at JP, its done. There are a couple smaller, less used accesses that aren't bad though. Once your on, its a piece of cake on any kind of machine/vehicle. Still 23" of measured ice 12km off shore. The top couple inches are getting soft, but there is still tons of good ice down there. There is still snow on most of the lake, once that's gone, it won't take long for the sun to do its work. This weekend will be no problem for guys on machines. You might get a little wet, but other than that I'd have atter while you can. The fishing was good too.

S.

a friend in Innsifil told me that the access at the 8th line is bad and watch out for big holes from the removed huts

the access at the 4th and 3rd looks real bad and have a fair bit of ice jamming up 15 ft from shore

I think I am done for this year

never done just have to go more north Terry lol Im off to find walter for 4 days hope he is still in the same spot lol

Don't they have a name for someone that you've shared your favourite spots with.. and they then go back and fish them themselves.. bringing along guests and having to be so close to the "bread crumbs" that they rent the camp on the other end of your island so that they don't get lost..... :unsure::whistling::D

Edited by irishfield

Just pulled the hut off a few hours ago. Alcona area. Access points are getting sketchy, but the ice was good (in our location). If the rain holds off, we're hittin er with the quad this weekend..

Don't they have a name for someone that you've shared your favourite spots with.. and they then go back and fish them themselves.. bringing along guests and having to be so close to the "bread crumbs" that they rent the camp on the other end of your island so that they don't get lost..... :unsure::whistling::D

I hope I see your sorry ass up this weekend. Stop working and come fishing lol Beer will be waiting for you Wayne

Oh ya he is called a fish aholic lol

Well folks,IBP has a nice size hole in front of the ramp,about 2 ft. deep then the ice,but you can still drive 4-wheelers on beside the town dock near the front gate of the park.I haven't gone to the nineth as I heard Jerry had it roped off and towtrucks wait there daily......the end of the 7th looked solid and I might go that route today.There's still 14-16" of ice and it was getting soft on top yesterday....we'll have to see how much rain we really get ,but looks like I'm back to walking to end this year....TC and tight lines....Chuck.....P.S. Sledders would be better with scrapers as there is no snow leftt on the lake.....only the major drifts from hut locations are left...

With this rain coming (and high winds), getting on may be possible but getting off at the end of the day may be the problem. I think the ice is thick enough for ATV travel but caution must be given to avoid the big holes left by the hut removals. Have fun but play safe!! :o