Legth of Fluoro leaders: Invisibility vs Castability

MSBruno

If you use fluoro leaders for Pike, what length do you use? I'm trying to make them as long as I would like (3ft), but I can't cast as well as I'd like with a leader that long. I don't want to heavy guage fluoro leader to pass through my rod's first guide, so I'm having trouble controlling the 3ft of line out of my rod. I'm trimming it down and trying to work on the appropriate length of line that I can get a good ratio of length and catability.

What length do you all use? What length do you find still gives you the invisibility of fluoro but still castable? Are the benefits of fluoro's invisibility negated after 12", 18", 24"? the longer the better?

Thanks in advance!

Pike don't give a crap if its wire or flouro, if they are hungry they will bite (they are the thugs of the fishing world) but imo fluro does give me confidence that they will be more likely to bite. Perhaps flouro may increase my bite ratio....perhaps. I like flouro because it does not kink so easily like wire and I heard its safer for the pike (and musky) if it trys to roll itself in the leader.

Anyhow I use 12-18" for casting and 24-36" for trolling (just letting the lure out not casting it). Really hard to do accurate casts with 2ft of leader and a 3oz+ lure.

Guest gbfisher

Trolling will allow for a longer leader if yer worried about fish rolling in the line. Casting with a long leader isn't as easy.

I use steel leaders myself for pike. When Musky season opens Pike are incidental.... ;)

Fishing for pike.. in muskieless grounds... 12" steel. Why waste the money on floro.. Pike sure aren't line shy!

Suspending lures sink when you use wire.

Maybe not such a big deal north of Parry Sound but early season harbour pike love that deadrift. Not to mention the other assorted critters swimming off points & pierheads this time of year.

I've always used 12 inch 80# fluro leaders for pike with zero issues.

Yep!! And like clofchik mentioned, wire makes your slash baits nose dive.. A harbour northern that's seen it all will shy from a bait that sinks head first on the pause.

I've seen it happen. Sure there's places where it doesn't make much of a difference, but here, fine tuning your presentation makes for way more takes.

Yep!! And like clofchik mentioned, wire makes your slash baits nose dive.. A harbour northern that's seen it all will shy from a bait that sinks head first on the pause.

I've seen it happen. Sure there's places where it doesn't make much of a difference, but here, fine tuning your presentation makes for way more takes.

well said!

Not to worried about visibility so Flouro is out for me. I've been using 80lb triple fish for many years now and never been bittin off. Usually an arms length for trolling and about twelve inches give or take for casting. The stuff is easy to tie so you need no crimps and can make a leader on the spot in about 2 or 3 minutes....

Cheers !!

All good points so far, I agree. Another reason to use shorter leaders for casting is when you have a follow and a fish doesn't bite. This is common in musky fishing, but I have sen the odd large pike do it. A shorter leader 12-18" facilitates figures eights or O's. Or you forgo the swivel if you are using most lures (with the exception of an inline spinner) and tye the flouro leader directly to your mainline.

Suspending lures sink when you use wire.

Maybe not such a big deal north of Parry Sound but early season harbour pike love that deadrift. Not to mention the other assorted critters swimming off points & pierheads this time of year.

Hey HEY HEY to much information