Weather was great and bite was on!

limeyangler

Hi All,

got out to fish walleye again yesterday...with a few whitefish thrown into the mix.

I've been fishing this lake a lot since it is 10 mins away and they are gonna be harvesting lumber in there this year so a road was ripped through the bush in a hurry a month ago.

This has allowed me to identify a pretty hard fast rule/pattern for this lake......FISH DEEP! Also a jig and minnow was definitely the way to go....a large minnow too. Anything fancier than that was looked at but then ignored by even the biggest fish...the whitefish were also prefering jig and minnow...albeit smaller minnows.

I got to my new spot where i'd done well a few days earlier, my buddies whom i told about the spot were already there ( i dont mind telling people a good spot, i've been told a few myself through the years). They were fishing in the holes i'd drilled in around 20-35' FOW. I dont like fishing in an area where the lines are concentrated in a small area so i thought i'd go deeper...as this had been the key to catching both lots of fish and the bigger ones too.

Found 45'FOW about 50yrds from the main group and waited for an hour with only a couple of whitefish to show for my patience....that is until 4pm when all hell broke loose....FISH AFTER FISH AFTER FISH! some really nice 23's and 24's perfect 17.5" keepers....lots of smaller ones too....absolutely non stop action for 2 hrs.

I know there is a certain amount of pride amongst fishermen.....but if i'm fishing shallow with buddies and someone is catching all the fish deeper...i'll sure as hell be moving deeper.....the boys just sat and watched me catch fish the whole time...whining they were not catching....bemoaning the fact i had a fishfinder and was cheating....lol....oh well.

DESPITE THE LACK OF VID AND PHOTOS...THE BITE WAS TRULY ON (FOR ME....SNIGGER :D )

simon congrats on the eyes and whites no trucks stuck this year whats up

LOL...its only March ....give it time!

Thanks for "the tour" bro...

Love the tunes too.

Cant take any credit for the tunes selection....local radio.

Nice ones, Simon! I can't get over our mild weather right now and the huge lack of snow. I've got a feeling winter will be coming back to NW Ontario yet. I hope so anyhow... I'm not ready for spring!!

ITS CRAZY FOR SURE! i dont think its snowed since the beginning of January has it? Of course it aint over yet....walleye opener last year was a BLIZZARD...remember? same every year....lol.

Limeyangler, did you ever try those Whistler Jigs by Northland Takcle?........They're like a basic jighead but have a sort of propellor system on them for added flash and noise.

I have eazy....i like 'em.....but when a jig and minnow are working that good...as they say...keep it simple and dont fix what aint broke eh?

whoa great job on fish! what the temp like outside? either way looks like it was well worth it!

It was an unbeleivable plus 10 Celcius out there.....crazy weather!

Nice Simon.

Where's your tourney logo? :P :P :P

LOL TJSA.....already entered a 25"....noyhing above 24" that day i'm afraid...but like i said before.......in a few months i'll get another 32"er right of the lawn for some added points.

two hands on the wheel.. jeez !

ps keep up the good work.. your making us all jealous

I always drive with my knees!

looks like another great day

Terry....it was an awesome day...so nice to ice fish without freezing your cojones off.

Nice report Simon!

I was up north 2 weekends ago for 4 days and had exactly the same experience you had. Tried countless hours in the 10 to 20 foot range, and no Pickerel. Went to 45 and lots of Pickerel, and big ones too, but unfortunately no whitefish. I tried the shallow water method for whitefish as you mentioned in an earlier report, but had no luck. Your buddies must be the same people I fish with on occasion, because they will never move, even if the the opportunity is guaranteed to be a success. But I blame that on laziness, and not their pride!

Great job once again.