3 years today !

camillj

Ahh, this is great timing. I will tell you why I find this really interesting.

I remember that specific time you quit. Congrats to your success. I know how hard it is.

About the timing. This is no stretch of the truth.

Today, after 20 years of smoking, is my 3rd day of not smoking, after 3 years when you quit.

It's been a very difficult 3 days. It's hard to concentrate to do even the smallest task. This was not planned. I had to do this for health reasons. So it was an immediate response, and I can never smoke again.

I am anxiously expecting my SmokeStik to arrive in the mail tomorrow (crossing my fingers). It's a cigarette simulation, that utilizes nicotine cartridges (yes I was able to order them into the country) that replicates the inhale/exhale behaviour with a dense vapor. Great. Something else to defer my addiction to.

Anyway, congrats to your 3 years! It's totally worth it!

If you have gone 3 days without you shoulsd be past the worst of the nicotine addiction.Please dont do the Smokestick thing,grit it out for a few more days and you are done!You can not start smoking again unless you light one up and put it in your mouth.Its all in your control now!

Congrats to all who have stayed butt free,I have PM'd with a few of you about this very subject.

Here is a great website.

http://whyquit.com/

Joe

I dont know what is going on around here lately but there seems to be some younger guys that seem to want a lot of attention and say some stupid stuff.Maybe they didn't get quite enough hugs growing up.Very predictable attention hoe's ,the net is full of them.Kind of drags the site down though.

[i dont know what is going on around here lately but there seems to be some younger guys that seem to want a lot of attention and say some stupid stuff.Maybe they didn't get quite enough hugs growing up.Very predictable attention hoe's ,the net is full of them.Kind of drags the site down though.

Maybe they got too many hugs...agreed though...a guy is making an effort to do something extremely difficult and somebody throws in a Bull cheeky comment...we all know that starting was a dumb thing to do, but, we did it.

WOW ...It was exactly three years ago today when me and the weedman parted friends ... cant believe it ... just yesterday I ditched the 10 packs of Players I had sitting on top of my stove as a reminder ... I do believe I am over the hump ...

but dont kid yourself ... I'll always be a smoker ... just not actively practicing ... and for any of you thinking about it but afraid to try ... I NEVER believed I'd be able to kick the habit ... go ahead ... you won't be sorry !

Congratulations! That sounds like an eternity from this point. My last cigarette was January 28th, 2010. I have been taking Champix and it seems to be doing what it says, my only hope is that I'll have built up the self control to realize I don't need any cigarette once I stop taking it.

Is anyone else taking Champix? It seems to want to make me throw up within about 15minutes of taking it sometimes, even with an empty stomach. I read the literature that came with it and that really isn't even a side effect that is mentioned, just wondering if anyone else has the same?

Andrew.

Congrats on the milestone :)

I am going to give it another try soon....

I may have to put myself on ModQ when I do.

I tried the patch the first time. Just gave me nasty skin burns and insane dreams. The second time I was using some drug...can't recall the name, but it took away the cravings for a cigarette, but replaced them with cravings to choke everyone within five feet of me.

I was actually hoping I would get a really nasty cold this winter...I can't smoke when my lungs are congested. I was going to use that as my starting point. Got all the other damm viruses going around except the cold!

Give the patch another shot,Rick.Take it off at night and you will avoid the wild dreams.Take up a good workout routine while you quit,it will help keep you honest ...lots of cardio!Try locating the patch in different areas that may not be as sensitive.I didn't stay on it for the entire course,after a couple of weeks I was done.Hope you try it again.

Joe

If you have gone 3 days without you shoulsd be past the worst of the nicotine addiction.Please dont do the Smokestick thing,grit it out for a few more days and you are done!You can not start smoking again unless you light one up and put it in your mouth.Its all in your control now!

Congrats to all who have stayed butt free,I have PM'd with a few of you about this very subject.

Here is a great website.

Joe

Thank you very much for the consideration and advice Joe. I will take the opportunity and take advantage of the site you posted. Before I headed into this thread I had the SmokeStik in my hand. It's identical to to real thing, and you are right, it should have been alternately named "The Devils Advocate".

Hang in there Andrew! You are doing great so far. I haven't had any experience with Champix, or know anyone who has, sorry. I should look into that for alternate aid.

August 3rd, 2003. Last smoke was a Camel. Smoked myself green over two days while fishing on the North French knowing that once those 3 1/2 packs were done, so was I.

Now I'm 40 pounds heavier and more out of breath than I ever was smoking. lol.

Here is a great website.

Joe

I dont know what is going on around here lately but there seems to be some younger guys that seem to want a lot of attention and say some stupid stuff.Maybe they didn't get quite enough hugs growing up.Very predictable attention hoe's ,the net is full of them.Kind of drags the site down though.

I agree, the demographic is changing.

Congratulations! That sounds like an eternity from this point. My last cigarette was January 28th, 2010. I have been taking Champix and it seems to be doing what it says, my only hope is that I'll have built up the self control to realize I don't need any cigarette once I stop taking it.

Is anyone else taking Champix? It seems to want to make me throw up within about 15minutes of taking it sometimes, even with an empty stomach. I read the literature that came with it and that really isn't even a side effect that is mentioned, just wondering if anyone else has the same?

Andrew.

This my second go around with Champix the first it worked as advertised but I did not do the full treatment so I fell off the wagon, this time around I plan on doing the full program and so far so good.

As far as side affects go I have not had any nausea but I have had the dreams which are okay and I am having a little difficulty getting to sleep but these I can tolerate.

I have also recieved a side benefit of quitting smoking and that is a big reduction in the amount of coffee I have been drinking, smoking and coffee seem to go hand in hand so I removed the morning coffee trigger and replaced it with juice.

Good luck with your rehab!

This my second go around with Champix the first it worked as advertised but I did not do the full treatment so I fell off the wagon, this time around I plan on doing the full program and so far so good.

As far as side affects go I have not had any nausea but I have had the dreams which are okay and I am having a little difficulty getting to sleep but these I can tolerate.

I have also recieved a side benefit of quitting smoking and that is a big reduction in the amount of coffee I have been drinking, smoking and coffee seem to go hand in hand so I removed the morning coffee trigger and replaced it with juice.

Good luck with your rehab!

Funny thing you mention coffee.I was a pot every morning guy with a pack to go with it.Got rid of the coffe at the same time I quit.I just recently started up drinking tea and the occasional cuppa.It took a few years to even try coffee because it was such a strong trigger.Once you quit the smokes you can go back to coffee and beer and all the other triggers...just takes a while.

Joe

but dont kid yourself ... I'll always be a smoker ... just not actively practicing ...

Congratulations! And I am certainly not going to argue with your success, but I have a different take on the same result. The minute I stopped smoking, I was a non-smoker. Period. I wasn't a guy waiting to fall off the waggon or hoping that I wouldn't smoke again. I was a guy that not only didn't smoke now, but never did! I also never counted milestone days. People that never smoked don't walk around saying "I'm 38 years old and haven't had a smoke for 38 years", why should we?

When I quit, my first marriage had just broken up and I quit the day before I was best man at my friends wedding. Within two weeks I was out to Vancouver for a bar hopping weekend. In other words, I had lots of reasons to keep smoking, I just did things the way that people that have never smoked did them. Dig?

Good on all of you (us) and for those contemplating quitting, there is life after smoking (and it's a longer one) just ask the guy that has never started.

Jim

I quit Jan 01 six years ago.

I also threw out about $800 worth of MonteCristos and Cohiba Esplendidos because I completely forgot about my humidor full of cigars when I quit.

They went all mouldy and flaky, what a waste.

Quitting was the best thing I ever did but I put on about 15 lbs.

Good Luck to anyone who decides they want to live longer and quits.

It ain't easy but it's well worth it in the long run.