oppinions please

ld17

I just bought a new sedona, 500 size for ice fishing, so far very happy with it....only negative is they no longer come with an extra spool, something to consider if the regal comes with one

when I was at the counter the sedonas on display was very stiff to turn the handle, asked to see a few boxes and all were fine inside the box, so maybe that's customer abuse? but not really sure how much you can bash a reel at the display counter in front of sales staff?

i have two regals.. 500 & 1500 size. i use them both through the ice and the 1500 in the spring trolling for trout and jigging for walleye. they get put away the rest of the year. no issues -- good reel for the price.

Edited by Raf

How badly do you need the extra spool and how much does it cost for one. The sedonas slightly more advanced design with the propulsion system and lighter IIRC but missing the extra spool.

Did you physically have both in your hands to try?

I'll tell you a spare spool sure is handy with a 2000/2500, not so handy with a 500.

I have both reel.

SHimano Sedona has a smoother drag even if it only has 3-4 bearings, a lighter reel as well.

My Daiwa regal has 10 bearings , but the drag is not as smooth as my Sedona. Extra spool come in handy.

Depending on the type of fish. For bass or steelhead, go with Sedona.

For Salmon with more medium action long rod, the regal is fine.

sedona is the best reel out there for the money. sometimes i think i like them better than my stradics. there is a dude on ebay that sells spools for .99 with about six bucks shippping, and no one seems to bid so you are likely to win. cant speak for the daiwa but you cant go wrong with the shimano.

with spinning reels i think it is very possible to get a great reel in this price range.

I own a sedona 2500, great reel, no problems. Like some have already mentioned, the drag is very smooth for the price, and 4 bearings.

Having no spare spool wasn't a problem for me, I believe the Sahara is the first model up that comes with a spare spool.

I picked mine up at the reel trade-in as well. My first shimano spinning reel, definitely satisfied with it.

very handy for me...I like to keep a spool with braid and one with mono for deep and shallow ice fishing....next time I wouldn't buy shimano, find something that includes spare spool

yeah true ice fishing. I love my 500 for panfish/small trout and use 4lb. I did not know what to do with the spare spool, so I filled it with 6lb lol :P .

8lb floro had too much spring for the 500 spool size.

I've been spinning in my hand my new stradic 2500 fi and my older sedona 2000. lol. LD17 Save up and go for a stradic fi or the mgfa stradic if you find it cheaply on clearance. It comes with a spare AL spool too. The sedona about $72, if you find the stradic mgfa for $100 you'll have a sweet fishing summer and well worth the $30 difference. IIRC there was a thread mentioning a store with the mgfa on clearance. Although ebay is an option too.

Edited by Syn

I can't compare the two as I have only used the Daiwa Excellor. What I have noticed was that the Excellor on sale at BPS is within pennies of the regular price at Le Baron (who's new catalogue just arrived in the mail :). You might want to look into it before heading to BPS.

Good luck!

Jim

PS I just checked and LeBaron's regular price is cheaper than BPS's sale price.

Edited by Radnine

Thanks very much guys. I'll have to check out some pricing at different stores. I thought the bass pro price was hard to beat but I'll look into it. As for buying a better reel I already have some higher end reels. This one is just a back up that I won't use that often so I don't want to spend very much on it. Thanks again on the imput guys.

Thanks very much guys. I'll have to check out some pricing at different stores. I thought the bass pro price was hard to beat but I'll look into it. As for buying a better reel I already have some higher end reels. This one is just a back up that I won't use that often so I don't want to spend very much on it. Thanks again on the imput guys.

Just in case you didn't hear about it: http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=41150

Edited by Syn

I have both reels, both are good. I find the Sedona's fighting drag useful for Steelhead, the Regal for the same size class had a slightly better balanced feel (to me) but I've had the previous model's bail come apart while fighting a fish (my guess it got banged up on something).

The extra spool does come in handy (my sedona did come with mine when I bought it at LB). Could have been a promo way back.

When the hell did I say they were garbage?

These are both pretty cheap reals, expect both of them to be of the same quality.

right about there is where I'd assume most folks assumed you meant garbage...

I think this thread is talking about the new sedona's and not the old model....new model is nice and worth the 65 I paid, 500 is solid reel for ice fishing IMO