Deep cycle battery and charger

Cosmos

Hi everyone.

I am planning to put a small trolling motor(MinnKota Endura) for my small boat.

I am looking to buy a charger for deep cycle battery and marine battery.

I really need to get a good advice.

I found 3 models of chargers which looks ok to me:

2 from BassPro:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...5007000_225-7-0

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...5007000_225-7-2

1 form CanadianTire(this week special offer for $49.99):

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Au...B8%25252B2A.jsp

Please let me know which one is better.

Same thing with batteries:

Basspro:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...5007000_225-7-0

CanadianTire:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Au...252BBattery.jsp

I am really appreciate your help guys.

Thank you

for a charger id go with a battery tender of some sort. you always leave the tender hooked up to your battery when at home. it charges the battery then maintains the battery automatically so you are always 100% sure you have a topped up battery when you head out.

i believe they make one for pretty much any application...

i have one for my ATV and its nice going out in -15 weather and seeing it crank over with power instead of being sluggish from the cold getting to the battery.

as to batteries...

just buy the larger size deep cycle in any of the major brands. they usually have warranties so you can just replace em for free every couple years? :whistling::thumbsup_anim:

I picked up 2, 550 cca batteries from interstate for about 210 bucks.And a mobiline deep cycle slow charger for under a 100 bucks.I find the big box store can be way over priced on many items.Shop around.Give acme battery a shout,Im not sure if there is one in T O.

I think your best bet for a deep cycle battery is at Walmart. About 100.00 for a 27 series. They are ENERGIZER batteries. I use them and have no problems with them. I have had nothing but bad luck with INTERSTATE batteries, therefore will never buy them again. The best that I have ever used are TROJAN batteries. I have 4 of the in my 26 footer and they are at least 6 yrs old now and still going strong. Any charger with a trickle and a 10 amp quick charge will be fine just make sure it has auto shut-off.

I keep a 12ft stashed on a small lake & I only use my electric to fish there.Easy in & out with my quad carrying motor & battery.I've used a gr27 Energizer from Wallmart for 3 yrs now,I have a cheap automatic charger from CTC.

I put battery on charger everytime I get back from fishing.Never had any problems.Make sure your battery is fully charged when you put it away for the winter.I always store my boat batteries indoors above freezing temps.

I keep a 12ft stashed on a small lake & I only use my electric to fish there.Easy in & out with my quad carrying motor & battery.I've used a gr27 Energizer from Wallmart for 3 yrs now,I have a cheap automatic charger from CTC.

I put battery on charger everytime I get back from fishing.Never had any problems.Make sure your battery is fully charged when you put it away for the winter.I always store my boat batteries indoors above freezing temps.

Do you know how many amps/hours does ENERGIZER 27DC-850N have?

I would highly recommend the CTEK Charger from Canadian Tire http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST%2Fbrowse%2F...;bmLocale=fr_CA

It's by far the easiest and effective charger I've ever used. Comes with a 5yr warranty!

EDIT: have you bought the Endura yet? Consider getting a Minnkota or Motorguide that has better battery usage technology. Might not need such a huge battery in a small boat.

It's one of the few chargers that are recommended by Optima.

For a battery I'd purchase an Optima, I've really enjoyed mine.

If budget is a concern, call Jocelyn at Angling Outfitters he usually has some big deep cycles for a great price.

Keep in mind if you get a huge deep cycle, consider getting the larger CTEK model which can be found at some specialty shops.

Edited by scugog

Do you know how many amps/hours does ENERGIZER 27DC-850N have?

I don't know,never checked but I can tell you It will last 4 to 6 hrs on 12 ft,2 people in boat trolling slow.I have never run the battery down that I couldn't get back to stash site.

Edited by Blue Lk

my opinion would be the charger from ctc.

its the only one of the 3 that has

•Reverses sulphate build-up on battery plates while monitoring battery voltage to detect potential battery defects

+1,being able to de-sulfanate a deep cell will give it a whole new life,I've seen guys write off batteries that only needed de-sulfanating.

Went to CT to check out the charger.

It's pretty small one. On the box it says fully automatic, 3 years warranty.

I din't find any information if it's goes off automatically.

Will go on sale tomorrow for $49.99.

I don't know,never checked but I can tell you It will last 4 to 6 hrs on 12 ft,2 people in boat trolling slow.I have never run the battery down that I couldn't get back to stash site.

4-6 hours is crap. I have a DEKA MARINE MASTER that I used for the same purpose, fishing on a small boat. It lasts a good 16-18 hours on a full charge with 2 people in the boat.

4-6 hours is crap. I have a DEKA MARINE MASTER that I used for the same purpose, fishing on a small boat. It lasts a good 16-18 hours on a full charge with 2 people in the boat.

I'm not saying it won't last longer than 4-6 hrs,thats about how long it is used between charges.I charge it up when I get home after every trip.

Went to CT to check out the charger.

It's pretty small one. On the box it says fully automatic, 3 years warranty.

I din't find any information if it's goes off automatically.

Will go on sale tomorrow for $49.99.

The CTEK charger is fully automatic and doesn't actually turn completely"off", it goes into a float and maintenace mode which is a sort of standby. Whne the battery voltage drops down a bit through natural discharge, it turns back on. I leave mine hooked up to the ATV all the time, great little charger and good warrantee.

I have a theory on these "smart" chargers. Some of them are classified as smart but the only thing that makes them "smart" is that when you plug them in, they're just smart enough to decide whether they want to work today or not.

Went through lots of $$$ just trying to save a few and wasted it all. I ended up getting a decent quality garage charger and an onboard charger for the boat. No more surprises.

Had a CTC intelligent charger, but it wasn't so smart after all, took it back for a refund after a year of putting up with it and got my money back. It wasn't the same as that one in the link, it was the one with a plastic housing.

Bought a different one that will stop charging when the battery is full and stays on to monitor.

If you want a Minnkota 30 lb. thrust and a battery I might want to sell mine. Haven't used it in a few years and it has low hours only being used a few times. Had it occasionally on the old 12'r but it isn't strong enough on a 16.

Edited by pikehunter

If you want a Minnkota 30 lb. thrust and a battery I might want to sell mine. Haven't used it in a few years and it has low hours only being used a few times. Had it occasionally on the old 12'r but it isn't strong enough on a 16.

Please send me PM with details and pictures, I might be interested.