Humminbird and Vexilar

tjsa

have been reading past posts on hbird vs. vex vs. marcum, etc.

I know you cannot use a marcum very near a vex, but has anyone had any experience using a hbird close to a vex fl-18?

By the way, I am looking at an ice 35.

Guest gbfisher

two feet away no issuse. marcum and vex dont have that bad an issue either. Some Vex have issues with other vex though...go figure...Just what I have seen anyway.

I fish with a guy who uses an ice machine right beside me in a hut.

The Humminbird LCD and Vex FL-18 have interference issues for the Humminbird. Vex if fine. Humminbird flasher should be fine?

I sold my LCD and got a used Vex FL-18 recently... I am not impressed at all with the FL-18. Very limited unit.

I am looking for an ice case for my Lowrance HDS5. Anyone know where I can buy one?

Aaron

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i didn't have a problem but if you're intending on fishing in any depth (for lakers or whitefish), it was recommended to me i purchase at least the ice 45. plus the LCD screen is so user friendly.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Any LCD setup next to a flasher pumping out over 1500 watts is going to have heavy interference ... I run my ICE55 with my buddy's ICE45 and they do interfere . Its manageable but gets annoying . when another buddy fishes along side us with his LX-5 he has to keep his gain way down or it causes heavy interference with our HBirds... Seems as though nothing botthers the marcum , even when all three of us are fishing next to each other ... Still take my 6 color display over the marcum :thumbsup_anim:

The Humminbird LCD and Vex FL-18 have interference issues for the Humminbird. Vex if fine. Humminbird flasher should be fine?

I sold my LCD and got a used Vex FL-18 recently... I am not impressed at all with the FL-18. Very limited unit.

I am looking for an ice case for my Lowrance HDS5. Anyone know where I can buy one?

Aaron

I love my HDS5 for icefishing I just made a case for it ( a cheap plastic tool box from walmart) and got Vanselena to make me an 83/200 ice ducer for it

Edited by Terry

Thanks everyone, I was thinking of a vex, but the only one in town is an anniversary edition FL-20 complete with cupholder, rodholder, protective cover, vexilar toque, and something else added in, but I do not want to spend the $635.00 for it. Thats why I was looking at a Humminbird, better price range, and needed to know from people who have used them near vex's real time. My bud cannot use his FL-18 anywhere near his bud's Marcum LX-5. They were fishing for lake trout in 80+ feet of water at the time, so maybe that had something to do with it. They tried everything to get them both to work, but the Marcum had to be 35 yds. away before his vex would work half decent. There may be a software issue with his vex though, and he is going to send it in for a check-up during the softwater season. But it sounds like the vex/hbirds/lowrance units are working rather well with each other. I know of a hbird ice 35 in town, gonna see tomorrow if there is an ice 45 or 55 around, and what the price will be.

I never even thought of using my HDS5 for ice fishing but what a wicked unit that would be. You can bet that I'll be looking into it for next winter. Think about it; all my summer and winter GPS points all on one unit. Man, that would make life a lot easier!

it was Moisture

most likely when I had it sitting on top of the folded hut moving

I should have put it away

I found some rust on the card slot closer

I am going to tape it

did I say my house is real dry(oil heat) and it started working the next day

.....tjsa, sorry for hijacking your thread......

Wayne

yeah some one said that, but I didn't see the rust so I brushed him off

who was that masked man anyways

but really I don't think the rust had formed till a couple of days later and yes thank you you were right

Edited by Terry

yeah some one said that, but I didn't see the rust so I brushed him off

who was that masked man anyways

but really I don't think the rust had formed till a couple of days later and yes thank you you were right

Gotta wonder though... can't you fish in the rain ??? :unsure:

Any LCD unit is capable of moisture in the unit. I have owned about 6 Humminbird LCD units, all had bad moisture but one. Tony's Humminbird now has bad moisture as well.

I had an LCX-15 Lowrance with bad moisture once. I dropped into the Mississauga shop about 10 years ago and it was a month past warranty. They hooked it up, said it's bad, here have a brand new one. I was shocked, and really happy they were so good to me. I will always remember that. I think the HDS units have a 2 year warranty? So far my HDS units have had no moisture issues, hopefully they stay that way.

Aaron