My rod needs a fixin'

Skud

I have a great Pikin' rod that had a little mishap when I was up north with Solopaddler catching big Gators. The plastic end cap fell off the cork handle(which I lost) so as the week progressed the cork started to break up. The handle was constantly in contact with my body for support since I was casting large Bucktails all day which caused the breaking. The cork broke right up to the rod blank which hurts my hip when retrieving in a lure since it has sharp edges. The rod is a Shimano (Bob Izumi Signature Series) and about 6 years old. Is it covered under warranty? If not, can this be fixed? I really like this rod and want to salvage it if possible. Any help is appreciated.

Handle1.jpg

Handle3.jpg

Those pike were vicious weren't they? :D

Easy fix Doug. Buy a $2 butt cap and measure it against the end of your rod.

Carefully cut away the cork with a razor blade and clean it off the end of the blank.

Tape up the exposed bit of rod blank with masking tape and glue the new butt cap on.

Sand the cork so it's as even as possible with the new butt cap.

If there's any gaps take some of the cork dust, mix it with a bit of white glue, fill in the cracks and sand.

(Or just do what I'd do and buy a new more expensive rod. :D )

Edited by solopaddler

Butt caps for freshwater rods are pretty much standard in diameter.

There's a place in Midland that sells components, Backwater Tackle (I think?).

Angling Specialties on hwy.7 just south of Bass Pro would be another source.

Of course there's countless online sources for rod components as well. Google is your friend. :)

Not my idea but a fast & cheap method - take the rod to Home Depot (or equivalent) & find a chair leg cap that fits. Glue it on. Done.

I never had to do it myself, but I did see it on a couple of musky rods - seemed to be just fine, the owner was happy with it.

Michael

20jn0d1.jpg

The split grip lets you feel the rod blank without the cork. We use them when worm fishing or jigging so you can feel the pickup or what the bottom is doing. Spooled with power pro I have seen people call out rocks, branches and even what the bottom is made of correctly. It's a good tool if you are one of the gifted people.

Art

The split grip lets you feel the rod blank without the cork. We use them when worm fishing or jigging so you can feel the pickup or what the bottom is doing. Spooled with power pro I have seen people call out rocks, branches and even what the bottom is made of correctly. It's a good tool if you are one of the gifted people.

Art

Yeah but who's holding the blank behind the reel anyway? :dunno:

The split rear grip seems pointless to me other than for aesthetic reasons.

The little bit of cork you're eliminating weighs virtually nothing so it's not a weight issue.

Remember I use this rod for fishing Pike. I really only use it to throw 3/8 to 1 ounce spinner baits and bucktails and I have 50lb braid on the reel. I can feel a Gator hit just fine the way it is. Just need a nice round, smooth cap so it does not dig into me.

pike.jpg