Jigging Rap trebles

crappieperchhunter

I use #2 and #3 size jigging rapalas for perch in the winter. My go to weapon of choice as a matter of fact. This winter I have had the bottom treble come off on 3 separate occasions on me. The gap on the top where the hook is attached sometimes is a little wide and the fish can actually shake it off. I have gotten into the habit of pinching the gap with some pliers before I go out so I probably will not donate anymore trebles. However I am having a heck of a time finding small trebles to replace on my 3 "Bare" rapalas.

It would be nice if Rapala solved this problem or made replacement hooks more readily available. Until then if anyone knows a source for small replacement trebles I would be grateful for any help.

If it was me I'd be putting one size larger treble on them anyway. The stock hooks are too small.

Like I said I fish these alot. The hooks maybe small but the stock hooks have a nice fine point..perfect for tipping maggots with. Most small hooks if not thin or sharp enough can really butcher a maggot. My perfect solution would be getting the exact hooks from rapala.

Just thought of it - Place just south of the 401 near you called "Gagnon's" I believe - if they're still there I'd bet they have a selection that should find you what you need. Haven't been in it for decades, but I seem to remember still being able to see it from the highway. Shoot me a p.m. if you're still stuck, I have a bunch of damaged stock I might be able to pull the hooks off if they're the right size for you.

Michael

Edited by cheaptackle

I've had the same problem with Jiggin Raps and I end up just taking a treble off of an un-productive lure in a pinch.

I too, use a Jiggin Rap for perch and my biggest beef with them is the clear plastic tail breaking off of them for no apparent reason... I bought a new one this year and it only last one outing... reeling it in to find the plastic tail was gone... pretty crappy quality for such a productive and expensive bait.

HH

I've received alot of PM's and suggestions here from many of you. A couple have suggested using stingers and I think that would be my option of choice once I check some out to see if they will work for me. Truthfully I have tons of these jigs so it could be years...or never...before it could really be a problem.

It does however seem that Rapala has a problem here that should be addressed.

Thanx to all for taking the time to offer your help.

I find the Mustad 3550R #12 or #10 in blood red are awesome for the jigging raps .I tie them in a stinger fashion with fleuro about an inch below. that way it hangs much like the nils master jigging rap

Sounds like a good idea. I picked up some hali dropper hooks to try as well on my raps. Haven't actually had them out for a swim yet though.