Here I go, 1985 Ranger 370V

HTHM

Take a look at these pics and feel free to make suggestions as to what can be done.

Battery compartment

batteries.jpg

Rear deck

reardeck.jpg

Helm

Dash1.jpg

Consol

consolfront.jpg

Bow controls (What do these do?)

bowcontrols.jpg

Rear Livewell

rearlivewell.jpg

Shifter and livewell controls (How do these operate?)

shifter.jpg

I am starting on stripping out the carpet and I am thinking about a deck extension as well.

Any and all advice is welcome!

How do I remove the shifter from the sidewall? I was test-fitting my seats and found it need to be moved up an inch or 2.

Take a look at these pics and feel free to make suggestions as to what can be done.

I am starting on stripping out the carpet and I am thinking about a deck extension as well.

Any and all advice is welcome!

How do I remove the shifter from the sidewall? I was test-fitting my seats and found it need to be moved up an inch or 2.

Shifter should be held on with 2 or 3 bolts. Reach in behind the gunnel and you should be able to get at them.

As for the helm, this is what I did with the helm on my Fisher SV-18 GT.

Before

old.jpg

After

new.jpg

new2.jpg

The Bow panel is for the trolling motor and there may be an outboard tilt switch there.

Here are some more pics. I ghave stripped the carpet and wire brushed the bow and helm decks. In the helm deck I found evidence of a prior repair,

On the bow deck I noticed that the deck appears to be swelled on one side. Is this a concern?

As well, I went under the boat and found this crack: It si just ahead of the pad.

hulldamage006.jpg

hulldamage002.jpg

hulldamage001.jpg

This is about the mid point of the hull

hulldamge005.jpg

Here is the keel at the bow

hulldamage004.jpg

Now on to the wiring....

I pulled the bow controls out to see what was going on there and also to access the bow hook bolt. It is a little loose. When I pulled it out here is what I found.

cut wires on the run and charge switch... CAn these be restored and or used to control an aftermarket on-board charger?

bowwiring3.jpg

bowwiring1.jpg

bowwiring2.jpg

And a coiled up wire that appers to be from a depth sounder. ANy idea what brand that is from?

Thanks for any and all advice.

bowwiring4.jpg

the coiled up wire is more then likely from a 1240 lowrance flasher, that glass work need attention asap.

Dont knwo how to say it so here it goes

Are you on a ( as little as possible ) budget or a I l spend ??? to get the boat restored

I am torn about that right now, I would like to do it up right, that is the way I try to do things, but I also do not want to throw good money after bad.

hthm I think the first task is a good cleaning, then a equally through inspection of the transom and potentially a peak at the stringers....I know some have put an aqua view down to peak dunno if its applicable there. If the stringers and transom are rot free....then off you can go and for about 3k you should have a nice restore.

hthm I think the first task is a good cleaning, then a equally through inspection of the transom and potentially a peak at the stringers....I know some have put an aqua view down to peak dunno if its applicable there. If the stringers and transom are rot free....then off you can go and for about 3k you should have a nice restore.

Apparently there is a way of checking the transom for rot with a multimeter something to do with the conductivity of water. I have taken the motor and reefed on it with no flex seen. However I was by myself and may not of had the best perspective to check as I worked it.

Does anyone here know the multimeter procedure?

Hi HTHM, I don't want to sound pessimistic here but I would be concerned about that crack in front of the pad. All the carpet, wiring etc is straight forward to repair. However, I learned the hard way that it is very difficult to repair cracks in gel coat and not have them return soon again afterwards. That one on the pad looks like it even has rust coming through it from the interior.

Hi HTHM, carpets, wiring, even gel coat chips etc can be relatively straight-forward to repair, but I would be very concerned about that crack in the hull ahead of the pad. I learned the hard way that it is very difficult to repair cracks and not have them return again soon afterwards. That crack in the hull looks really bad and even seems to have rust showing through it from the insides, which makes me wonder how long the boat was in the water allowing the fibreglass to soak up the water. You also haven't mentioned about the work required on the motor, steering cables, steering helm etc. They are all very expensive parts. Personally I would be looking for another project. I don't doubt that you have the determination to get it done, I just wonder if you will see the rewards at the end. Best of luck.

Albert as much as you want a nice setup,if it was mine I'd be looking at taking care of the basics like carpet,seats,wiring, steering cable,GC seals and do the glass work myself (don't worry about it being factory perfect) while spending as little as possible (under 1k for above if do it yourself) and enjoy the boat.It's not worth putting anymore into it as your investment would far exceed it's value when done.Just use it till the bugs bites for a bigger boat cause it will lol.

Albert as much as you want a nice setup,if it was mine I'd be looking at taking care of the basics like carpet,seats,wiring, steering cable,GC seals and do the glass work myself (don't worry about it being factory perfect) while spending as little as possible (under 1k for above if do it yourself) and enjoy the boat.It's not worth putting anymore into it as your investment would far exceed it's value when done.Just use it till the bugs bites for a bigger boat cause it will lol.

Mechanically the boat is fine, except for the lower unit seals. Steering is excellent, I do not know about the wiring yet, but I am confident it will be relatively easy to toubleshoot if there is a problem. B)

The glass work will be done to the best of my ability, heck if I can tape drywall, I should be able to smooth fiberglass. Only trouble is getting the boat upside down. Good thing my neighbour has a mini ex and a skidsteer. :blink::blink:

The seats I am going to get done by a local shop, depending on the cost.