Craftsman Snowblower...

Gerritt

Well it looks as though I blew the engine in my Snowblower.. Got it up and running for the first time this season. it started first pull, and other then a bit of smoke ran fine.. not bad for the first use this season..

Then things went odd... it started to make an odd noise. I looked at the engine and noticed exhaust coming from a rubber tube.. rather then the exhaust... Odd I thought..

Then heard a bunch of clanking and then a real loud one.. and now have a dead engine..

There is zero compression but I can tell the crank is turning.. so I am pretty confident I threw the rod. I removed the plug and the piston is not moving.

Upon further inspection I found a rather large mouse nest under the metal housing... from storage.

This machine owes me nothing... I have had it forever and had it given to me from an oldtimer that used it for ever.. it was a decent workhorse..

Now my question.. is there a reliable place to purchase a new or rebuilt motor for the frame? Preferably 6hp or over

the frame is solid! and has NO plastic on it, pretty much free from rust and is well built..

It would be a shame to trash it, just to buy something made of mostly plastic, only to replace it in 5 years..

God I hate our disposable society...

Anyways guys any advice?

G

Edited by Gerritt

Anyways guys any advice?

G

Yes buy mine, I'll give you a wicked deal. :)

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-t...QAdIdZ185318910

And don't forget good old Kijiji - probably find a whole machine there to use for a parts unit.

Michael

Or perhaps an even better machine for less than the cost of the parts you need . :)

Edited by solopaddler

PM big Cliff he may have some laying around!

My neighbour threw one out (he can't change a light bulb) during the summer 5 hp MDS

in mint condition, probably used once or twice. I replaced the plug and float, cleaned it, changed the oil, put tubes in the tires and sold it for $350.00 all steel no plastic! :rolleyes:

Dude, you're totally whipped!!!!! :lol:

Joanne says you got to sell it so out it goes!!! rotflol-1.gifrotflol-1.gifrotflol-1.gif

Nice try Atkins boy.

Why don't you mind your own beeswax and go wolf down another "cajun" steak.

Oh and by the by you should check out the other item I'm selling.

Maybe you could row off the weight instead. :D

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-...QAdIdZ184890230

Edited by solopaddler

Nice try Atkins boy.

Why don't you mind your own beeswax and go wolf down another "cajun" steak.

Oh and by the by you should check out the other item I'm selling.

Maybe you could row off the weight instead. :D

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-...QAdIdZ184890230

Sorry man no steak, it's Tex Mex BBQ'd Alaskan Halibut and veggies fer dinner tonight. :D

Dinner.jpg

You still got yer row boat? :lol:

You know, if you are halfway handy with your hands, you could probably fix it yourself armed with some simple tools and a small engine repair manual. If you didn't blow a hole through the block or head all you need is maybe a new crank, rod and piston (rings too). The old engines were pretty tough so it may not be too bad, a lot of small engine guys might tell you not to bother and then ask if you want to leave the machine with them so they can "dispose" of it for you. Go back in a couple of weeks and it will be all cleaned up and running tickety boo and selling for $500. I've dealt with a couple like that in the past and am wary of them now.

The key is going to be to determin what caused the rod to fail in the first place, Over reving, could be a problem with the governer, a ring could have been stuck and broke causing the piston to jam. If that is the case, there could be damage to the piston, cylinder, even the crank. Could have been a valve retainer or spring that broke allowing the valve to drop into the cylinder and jam the piston, could be a lot of damage and until you take it apart there is no way of telling what is needed or what it will cost to fix it.

Labor rates in shops usually range anywhere from 65 to over 100$/hour. To strip an engine down, assess all the damage, look up the parts required, order them, install them, then test the unit and make final adjustments can easily take 3-4 hours. Well, there is $260.00 before parts, and can make for an expensive repair.

Often a shop that gets a unit like that will give it to one of the apprentices to do when things are quiet so he can get the experience of doing the job and they sell the unit (usually without a warranty) for enough to recover their costs and make a little on the parts, hence a job that might get quoted to a customer for $650 or $700.00 gets sold for $500.00 to someone else. Any shop worth their salt would give you some warranty if they were to rebuild an engine like that at full shop rate.

There are some really good deals on replacement engines that will bolt right on to your frame and that might be one option but I'd have to see what is wrong with the unit before I would advise you to go that route.

Guest steel'n'esox
Sorry man no steak, it's Tex Mex BBQ'd Alaskan Halibut and veggies fer dinner tonight. :D

Dinner.jpg

You still got yer row boat? :lol:

Up there it cost more for the green beans and coliflower than it did for the Halibut lol damn I know I spelt colliflower wrong