Humminbird 565 question

Court R

What a coincidence!

I don’t have the Humminbird 565 but I’m seriously looking at getting one for fishing the same exact conditions you are (100ft under the ice). I’m actually looking at getting one to replace the fish finder I already have with the same problem you’re experiencing.

At the moment I have a very basic, old portable Eagle Cuda 128. It is rated to read depths to 600ft but with that said, in terms of looking at fish, lures and the jigging motion of the lure, it maxes out at 60ft. According to the user manual, the signal coming out of the unit isn’t strong enough to read fine detail at depths beyond 60ft – just the bottom. When dropping my lure, I can easily see it fall from the surface down to 60ft, then the line becomes almost invisible after that.

Maybe your finder is the same. I’d really love to know the max depths people are able to see their lures and fish with the 565 model. My friends have the Humminbird 343c and 345c which have 2400 watts + 300watts for the transducer and can view everything nicely on their units. Maybe the extra 400 watts compared to the Humminbird 565 (2000 watts) makes a difference at those depths.

What kind of lure were you using to test it?

The smaller the lure, the harder it is to locate sometimes.

That said your unit should have no issues detecting a jig at 100 feet. My 343C can see my double uni-knot at that depth.

Did you mess around with the sonar sensitivities? Turn off the Noise Filters. If the bottom is weedy, you'll lose sight of the lure, but I suspect at those depths weeds are few and far between.

Next time you're out try using the biggest lure you can, like a big Jigging Rap, that you know will go straight down. If you're using something like a Williams, it likes to swim way off into the distance and won't be visible until it centers itself back with the hole.

Edited by Jet

Is it consistently not visible? I find with my flasher that if the transducer is not level I can have problems seeing my lure. So, I found that I had to fiddle with the flasher location sometimes to get it to pick it up.

There have been times that I couldn't see my lure but I could see my buddies who is in the hole 3 feet away from me even though the transducer was right above my line!

Of course, I can't say for certain that there isn't something wrong my flasher since it's my first one :P

Good luck!

I was considering getting the 565 at first, but spent a little more and got the 345c.

I took the unit out this past weekend and we were fishing in about 72 feet of water.

At one point, I rigged my GF's rod with a 3" minnow and a split shot about 6" from the hook. When zoomed in, you could see both the minnow and the sinker at the bottom of the lake.

Play with the sensitivity settings.

I have the 565, and I have the same issues at any depth over 60-65ft. It's only the bottom 2-4 inches that I can't see, but not in all situations. If the bottom is soft, or stirred up, it gets worse. On a hard bottom, my lure can be seen right to the bottom at any depth.

Try messing with the sensitivity, and the bottom view.. Also use the zoom so you are only looking at the bottom 10 feet or so. That may help..

I've been using my 747c out on Simcoe with the Humminbird PTC U portable case/gel battery.. It's been awesome.. other then increasing the sensitivity and the zoom to 4x for the split screen, it's been great. No issues with picking up my jig just off bottom. Unit is 4000W if that makes any difference.

100' of water, and yes it is set for the right deph.

You are looking at a fair amount of bottom there, depending on the cone angle. If in the area of view the bottom varies from 102 to 100 feet deep, the finder will show the bottom at 100 feet but if you happen to have your line set in the 102 deep area of the field of view you will not see the jig as a separate mark until it clears the 100 foot mark. Hope I am making myself clear.

The narrow beam will help as you see less of the bottom, what I think you are experiencing is what is referred to as a dead zone. This link will explain what is going on and gives a little insight on LCD vs Flashers in this situation. Read the section on cone angle, shows visually what I tried to explain.

http://www.a-guide-to-florida-bass-fishing...ish-finder.html