Manitoba 'eyes

troutologist

For the first time in a few weekends I haven't made a trip into Ontario to ply shield country lakes for trout.

With an impending blizzard in the forecast, we ventured far out on to Lake Wpg. in search of some greenbacked walleyes. The driving conditions were pretty good, the general lack of snow made for smooth driving and only a few deep drifts. As we picked our way through the ice ridges and drifts it was apparent a working GPS was in order to return safely, as a heavy fog settled around us, visibility was down to 50yds. We got lucky, just barely making it through the ice without an extension (conveniently left at home...) over 3' of ice.

Arriving at the first spot the action kicked off quickly with a few smaller sauger and 'eyes, then a few chunky 20"ers joined the party. As it did numerous times throughout the day, the bite died and we were off to a new location. Mobility was key, nothing was gained by trying to wait the fish out.

Deadsticks only accounted for a handful of fish, jigging was the ticket. Also, a flasher seemed to be a key to this bite, fish came in at all levels, and using the electronics we were able to tempt suspended fish. Rattles of some description called in fish, who often refused the calling bait and nailing a smaller more subtle followup offering, it pays to have 2 or 3 rods rigged and close at hand to turn retreating red-marks into snowcovered walleye.

A few of the average fish from the day. What a fishery, these fish were all well fed and aggressive.

IMG_00214.JPG

Looks like this fella tangled with a net, I figured he deserved to swim another day

IMG_00411.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

Sweet greenbacks!

I spent the first 16 summers of my life fishing greenbacks out of Lake Winnipeg and the river system as I spent the summers at the family cottage in Victoria Beach.

Those greenback are simply the prettiest walleye I've seen. Where abouts are you fishing?

A little piece of trivia, any of you know why the those walleye are the colour they are? I know and i'll tell you guys in a bit.

Cheers,

G.

Great stuff Jay. Dayim....i have to drag my butt off to a good lake soon or i'll go nuts......baby keeping me pretty close to home recently.

definitely good to have a few rods rigged as you say......it gets kinda cluttered in my little hut sometimes :)

Real nice eyes....love the lipless rattlin bait in one pic......i have had a trout on mine so far...no walleye seem interested yet....but like the idea off ringing the dinner bell then tricking them to take the smaller hors d'oeuvre...very devious....I LIKE IT!