update on truck through ice on Nipissing

kickingfrog

http://www.nugget.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2256619

He's considering a dogsled

Posted By BRANDI CRAMER, THE NUGGET

Posted 8:00am Jan 12, 2010

Paul Lafreniere says he'll continue to ice fish.

But after putting his truck through the ice about 1.3 kilo-metres off Link's Beach Jan. 1, Lafreniere thinks he may just change his mode of transportation.

Maybe a dog sled -- that would be safe," said the Mattawa resident.

Lafreniere was back on Lake Nipissing Monday as Bartlett's Towing extracted his 3/4 ton diesel truck equipped with a plow from 29 feet of water.

He recalls the events of that day quite vividly.

He arrived at the lake about 1 p.m. New Year's day, hoping to tow his ice hut out to his fishing spot.

Lafreniere didn't set out on his adventure without preparing.

He called the outfitters, he checked ice depths, talked to bait suppliers and was informed about existing pressure cracks.

I followed the flagged road out and proceeded to turn off the flagged road to go around a cluster of huts," he said. And without warning the whole front of the truck curved in and made a crack."

The plow on his truck was hung up on one corner of the pressure crack, at which point Lafreniere and his nephew, Eric Bouchard, jumped through the open windows.

Lafreniere walked around the truck to ensure his nephew was safe.

Advertisement

We both stood there and watched my truck disappear," he recalled.

The hut was attached to the truck by a flat piece of metal with a hole cut in it. As the truck sank, the shack unhooked itself.

I've been coming here for 40 years, it's the only place I fish," said the hardcore 49-year-old angler.

It's close, and I know the lake -- or I thought I knew the lake. I guess you can never be too informed."

It was the first time Lafreniere has ever been in such a situation or even seen it.

When asked if he will move his hut to his regular fishing spot, he is quick to say no".

Not a chance in hell to driving on the lake," he said, adding he will hire an outfitter to move it for him or consider buying a snowmobile.

As he was interviewed in the comfortable space of a heated Bartlett's Towing truck, the recovery crew worked tirelessly recovering the vehicle which has sat on the bottom of Lake Nipissing for 10 days.

Ice fishing is my passion," Lafreniere said of his love for the sport.

Lafreniere doesn't regard himself as someone who did not know the lake. I am careful."

And though he admits taking his hut out on Jan. 1 may have been a risk, he assumed it was a

risk on the cautious side." I cut holes, checked the ice,

there was 12 to 12 1/4 inches of thick, blue crisp, nice straight solid ice," he said. But I guess you can never be too safe."

His truck and the recovery will be covered by his insurance company, but his plow and the contents of his vehicle are not.

The plow is replaceable," he said. But if I had not been insured, it would have been a financial disaster." Lafreniere estimates the cost of the recovery and replacing his truck will be close to $100,000.

The worst part about Jan. 1? Lafreniere having to face his wife Germaine.

To put it mildly, my wife was a little bit angry," he said.

As women can be, in the same time frame, she hugged me and made me realize the best outcome we could have had was the one we did."

[email protected]

I had always heard that insurance did not cover a vehicle damaged or lost while traveling off of maintained roads (i.e. in the bush or on ice)?

Anyone want to comment of this?

This question comes up all the time. The answer is..... it depends. Check yours, and get it in writing.

In the above article the truck is covered, but the plow and contents are not.