Lets talk SNOW SHOES!!

archie_james_c

Well with all the hardcore LSPP'ers on the board I figured we needed a snow shoe thread. I'm hoping to hit lakes in the park hard this season and for that, I need a new set of high-end shoes. I'm looking at GV Widetraks...

Let's see what the diehards are runnin' B)

Edit****

Weight- 260 lbs

Pack weight- 40lbs max.

Snow- fresh powder virgin speck lake kinda stuff ;)

Use- Sport every or every second week.

Edited by archie_james_c

I got atlas's and a number of guys i fish with use them too...great snowshoe and tough...im in need of a new pair, not due to them breaking or being faulty, just that the areas you take them after a while they get tired. My old man has been on his for at least 7-8 years and going strong. Strong metal frames and good bindings are key

What ever happened to the old cow-hide ones that were varnished??.....I was looking at those newer ones, but didn't think they could hold up a bigger guy on 2-3ft of snow????

Edited by eazy

What ever happened to the old cow-hide ones that were varnished??.....I was looking at those newer ones, but didn't think they could hold up a bigger guy on 2-3ft of snow????

Im a big 6'3 and about 260 and the new ones old me up fine adn we have broken trail is some pretty rough stuff, then truck through slush only to beat them off a tree to clean them out...the old wooden ones are good, but i think i would have broken a few if i was still wearing them

For that rough hiking , breaking trail too the new ones have crampons, which make life so much easier that the older wood ones. Also there is very little pivot side-to-side for you foot, makes turning quickly and tight manuvering much easier in my opinion. Im a big lad as well and have to problems with the new style.

I still use, and may never change, babyish and ash shoes. They float me well. :canadian:

Consider what you are going to use them for.

Breaking trail?

Thick bush?

Carrying a heavy pack?

Work?

Sport?

1 walk in the snow every two years?

As stated they'll be used in LSPP...but yes I should have listed all the facts first, i'll edit my original post to reflect that. :canadian:

I have a set of high end Atlas mountaineering snowshoes and they are great.

I also have a pair of old wood & leather ones, they're good too, especially in really deep powdery snow, but if you are going up any sort of incline, they're less than ideal, no traction.

I would say in the park, you would want snowshoes made for off trail use with built in crampons. GV makes good snowshoes, you'll be happy with them.

I've been searching for a new pair for a few weeks now. I have been running the old wooden ones for about 20 years now.

The ones I've been looking at the MSR Denali.. All the reviews look good except for the guys that use them for hardcore hiking, and they seem to wear out a little. They have a modular attachment system to add floatation to the shoe.. I'm not sure about the warranty on them..

Anyone have any experience with these??

Its very dependent on your preferences, Monique and Avery love the GVs,aluminums, but Jaden and I prefer the wooden ones. My main complaint with the aluminum ones is that snow builds up on them and increases the wieght, however bindings are much better. Also, personally I believe floatation is better with wodden ones. If I was walking a long way in unpacked snow, i would be wearing wooden ones. If I was gonna buy a pair of GVs aluminums, they would be the Wide Trails, a great pair of shoes with a lifetime warranty. Aluminun ones arre also noisy as far as im concerned.