Sturgeon lake yesterday

Big Cliff

Well, a friend and I tried our luck again yesterday, drilled a lot of holes. The Aqua-Vu worked well, we saw several fish, mostly dink perch but they wouldn't bite. We fished for about two hours, caught one walleye about 14" (a tear rolled down my cheek as I let it slip back down the hole) :angel: , had a couple of bites, but that was it. We tried everything from about 8-4' of water, used pin heads and maggots. The wind started to pick up about 4:30 so we headed back in.

The catching might not have been the best but the fishing was wonderful, it sure is nice to be able to jump on the ATV and be fishing in 5 minutes. I'll probably give it another try again today for a bit, I am going to try moving out a little farther this time, there seems to be plenty of ice at least where we are fishing, I didn't measure it with a tape but there has to be at least 10".

Keep at it Cliff, you will find them sooner or later.

Like I have said before I am very envious. I'd love to be able to walk out of my backyard for a feed of perch bluegills or crappie.

BTW have you tried popping a few holes off your dock at dusk? I know I have got some nice bluegills at dusk there in the summer. Perhaps they do the same dance under the ice then too.

I have a feeling they'll be deep Cliff. I'd get out off the main weed edge, and start there. Straight out from your place, over the channel, over the flat, where it drops to 12 FOW again. I know I got them there in the fall, so maybe they're still there?

S.

Cliff there is 10 to 12 inches all over the lake with few exceptions ellery bay has a open spot near shore and there is some questionable ice near birchpoint and the very middle out front of the house could dirve a car on it if i wanted to

According todays Peterborough Examiner, somebody thought they could drive all over the place on Chemong on Sunday. The ice is in good shape in most spots with 10 to 12 inches of ice, however there is a Jeep Cherokee stuck in 3 to 4 feet of water near Fifes Bay and another guy and his young daughter tried going under the Causeway bridge on his ATV. The jeep is still visable but the ATV sunk. Everyone is alright and now thinking different.

Be safe everyone.

Tom.

Got out again this afternoon for a few hours, drilled a lot more holes (way too many for an old man) but I did manage a few perch so I think I am starting to close in on them. I'll get the little buggers figured out. Haven't found the crappie though but one thing at a time LOL.

Nice Cliff, is it true that you cannot keep any walleye on Sturgeon? I can't find it in the regs....

Looking to clean out a pike or two for ya though lol

Nice job,

MTBF

Yes, its true. The only lake you can keep eyes, in FMZ 17 is scugog. Check the exceptions in the regs.

I've never seen a pike in sturgeon before, and I've fished it for a loooong time!

S.

Yes, its true. The only lake you can keep eyes, in FMZ 17 is scugog. Check the exceptions in the regs.

I've never seen a pike in sturgeon before, and I've fished it for a loooong time!

S.

Ok, ya I just found out after I posted that there are no Pike in there. Thanks for the info!

MTBF