Crossing from the States into Canada Question

moparhawk

If it was me I would just take my chances at the border. I have driven into the US many times with a vehicle full of people and I think only once have even had show a birth certificate or passport. I know security is getting tighter but my guess is the driver will be asked a few questions about the trip and everyone will be asked thier citizenship and on your way you will be....but, I guess there is a very slight chance you'll have a problem and even then if your with him and you explain the situation I think you'll be fine.

You have a 50-50 chance.

Just remember, if the border guard asks if anybody has ever been arrested you gotta tell the truth. If you lie and he finds out...the whole group gets sent back.

And don't even think of bringing any hand guns. Getting busted for that is a weekly occurance at the border here.

I have crossed many times as a driver and a passenger.Never had them do more than a quick couple of questions.If you have a ton of fishing gear and your passports they will most likely wish you good luck fishing.Just dont take his vehicle or have him be the driver.

Joe

So tempting but theres alot at stake here. The 6 others have also placed deposits and will have made time for this trip. I called them yesterday and they express if my son and I don't go they won't either as I'm the one familar with the lake. I doubt they could pull off a shore lunch

i work at a lodge and all of our guests are american. we have had many guests stopped at the border and not allowed into canada because of a DUI. if you dont do the required paperwork you will not be allowed entry into canada. we had 3 guys drive up from texas, 1 had a DUI and was denied at internatinal falls, MN. he had to book a flight all the way back down to texas from minnesota. as far as the passport, you can definitely still get one with a DUI. other countries, like mexico, will allow you into the country with a DUI. hope this helps.

This is my fear, and it could happen. This lodge has had many guest denied entry

As much I as I believe that this site is capable of solving almost any problem, are there not professional avenues you should pursue in this regard?

When I have questions of these sorts I have found it handy to email my MP or MPP, or the Minister of the Interior, or whomever looks after border type issues. With email communication the answers are usually very quick indeed. I think that they enjoy a good chance to help their constituents rather than people just writing to crab about stuff.

Good luck!

Jim

I think I pretty much covered everything he needs to do in my 2nd post Jim.... short of the forms he needs... glad Smally appreciated it anyhow.

I could get the pardon forms as well, for a canuck going to the USA, if I went out and turned on my sisters computer in the shop..... :o

I think I pretty much covered everything he needs to do in my 2nd post Jim.... short of the forms he needs... glad Smally appreciated it anyhow.

I could get the pardon forms as well, for a canuck going to the USA, if I went out and turned on my sisters computer in the shop..... :o

Yah Wayne, like I'm going to read a post that long :whistling:

I'm not condoning drunk driving at all, I think our laws need to be a lot tougher.

But of all the things that someone could be denied entry into Canada from the states, or vise versa, a drunk driving offense that has been dealt with by the courts, ie not a pending case with possible jail time, for a non driver in a group going on a fishing trip would seam to be not the best use of resources.

However just like around the house, my opinion means squat.

With all the expert advice i've seen here so far and living in a border town I'd say better safe than sorry Moparhawk.

I just talked with my friend who works at the Peace bridge in Fort Erie and he said even if you think you have the proper paperwork there is a chance he might be denied all it takes is a mistake on the form or one piece of missing info and its back you go.

Best advice contact the proper authorities. Go to your local immgration or gov't office , the internet forums can only offer..."in my opinion" solutions.

Good luck and I hope he gets to go on the trip.

seems like FisherMike has the 1st hand experience, I have heard the same from others as well,

As Radnine mentioned, Speak to proper authorities for an answer you can bank on, I am sure we all mean well here but what some of us might think SHOULD, WOULD or COULD happen is not necessarily the law and might land you in more trouble, I don't know if it has been posted but here it is for some common FAQs

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/conviction.asp,

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g153339-...onvictions.html

All the best.

BTW, Here in Canada an Impaired driving charge is a serious criminal offence, so as far as a Canadian with criminal record entering the US? a pardon is not good enough, you need a US Entry Waiver.

You have a 50-50 chance.

Just remember, if the border guard asks if anybody has ever been arrested you gotta tell the truth. If you lie and he finds out...the whole group gets sent back.

And don't even think of bringing any hand guns. Getting busted for that is a weekly occurance at the border here.

not trying to muddy the waters here..but can share with you from personal experience your chances are probably less than 50-50 given that aircraft stunt -Detroit- at Christmas

appears post 911 Home Land Security is alive and well crossing our borders

we travel under NEXUS to Buffalo on a routine basis--had a client in my car fairly recently--did not know he had a minor criminal offence here in Canada obviously

he did not have a NEXUS Priviledges-get traked to a different line up-long

entry denied!

l---got my wheels turned around and ended up having lunch with the guy in Niagara-On-The Lake--and drove him home to Toronto--wasted day

the no ask no tell thing seldom works in my experience

we all did dumb stuff in our teens--hope your boy-gets a pardon..and enjoys a seamless travel life going forward

Good Luck

Not sure what I can do. 8 of us have booked a weeks fishing at a lodge on Perrault. My son has a three year old "alcohol related offense. I was heartbroken when I read where he can expect to be denied entry. Can you just imagine that scene? I won't defend his dui. It was stupid, he knows it, no one hurt, he's been paying brutal insurance premiums ever since, life goes on. I see where there's somepaperwork for $240.00 that "might" allow him entry for a short stay but Its only been 3 yrs and I think the paperwork requires 5 yrs. Has anyone dealt with a situation like this before or is there a crossing guard on board who woulk chime in?

i drive truck and have old dui charge i dont have problem gettin across in car but i cant get truck across to i get a pardon. I have been to the Canadian and American border agencies and they told me they would never stop me in a car but in truck i need fast card and can't get fast card until i get pardon.I hope this helps you

if he has a passport it's a 50/50 chance.....try crossing the border in the early am hours, in my experience they get lazy......I've crossed numerous times where they have looked at our passports, asked us a few questions and then hand the passports back without even scanning in the system....we had a guy in the group cross the border there and back with no issues and he has a drug charge....don't recommend hoping to get lucky but the potential does exist I guess

hope this helps,

I moved here from the US about a year and half ago. I'm on a temp visa nad work permit and hope to get landed immigrant. What does this have to do with your son lol. Well 9 years ago I got a DUI. Same situation dumb move on my part and I learned a lot form the lesson. I visited Canada a bunch before moving here but at any time I could have been turned away at the border. I got lucky in that I came here for work so they didn't ask me many questions and by the time I was visiting for fun I had a bunch of stamps in my passport. In order for me to stay longer than this latest permit, I have to go through criminal rehab and that's costing me about $3K USD. Its messy and very time consuming. I knwo several guys that have been turned away trying to cross into Ontario at least with DUI's from as far back as just under a decade. I was told that anything over about 7 years is at the discression of the officer.

I find it best (If your'e going to try it) to have a driver with a crystal clean record take their automobile and ride as many in one car as possible.

Good luck!