Kawartha Ice Opener

muskeybugged

Don't feel bad, this weather can't help. I haven't even drilled a hole yet.......I see no reason to go out in this cold and try for them, when I know they're going to be shut down. I'm going to wait until we get a break, then pound them!!

S.

I fished little bald lake off Pigeon. I got to tell you drilled 11 holes (not many) all in areas i marked pre ice with gps. I have to tell you building the ice rink with my son awesome - fishing - nil

Ice was a little dubious as well - found all different depths in a 50 metre radius from "im scared" to rink. I went with my neighbour - it was like a highway with teh amount of traffic.

Maybe we need a bounty on first Pigeon panfish!

take care out there all I did and thanks to a couple of well known guys here who pointed me to two very bright survival suits!

John C

That's part of the fun. These lakes are virgin to ice fishing. No established areas or patterns. It may take a few trips to figure them out but when you do, you may have a hoard to yourself unless you want to share.

We managed a bunch of perch in 3-11 feet of water on Chemong lake. Nothing fantastic but some action. Also caught were a couple of largemouths and a small muskie all released healthy and happy.

I know of a few people who destroyed the crappie out deeper. It is just a matter of finding something that works and then expanding on it. Might take a winter or two but after waiting 90 years to try, I'm preparing myself for the occasional panfish skunking. Of course the upside of big schools of fat panfish just waiting to be discovered will cause me to keep drilling holes.

I ended up finding some crappie/Perch on Balsam. No pike. Left because of the Walleye. Couldnt keep them away. Watch out for that lake though. Some very hidden weak spots all around there. Mitchell lake side is still unsafe with the current.