North shore of Superior Brook Trout

solopaddler

Well, it's the dead of winter and I'm bored, so figured I'd share another trip with you guys. In the spirit of Lew's great thread about fishing with your father, these trip photos depict the one and only time my dad as well as my uncle accompanied me on a canoe trip. They were both in their late sixties at the time and used to their creature comforts. I really wasn't sure how they'd handle it 'cause it's not a cakewalk, but they did just fine! In fact they loved it!

We did this trip 3 years ago in May, once again to my secret honeyhole lakes north of Superior....

(sorry again about the poor pic quality, but hey they're better than nothing right? :) )

If these pictures look familiar, I posted a similar series of shots a while back crossing the same river with my old Suzuki Samurai. This time we beat the crap outta my uncles Jeep :P

100_0571.jpg

100_0573.jpg

There's my dad on the left, uncle on the right (they were pumped after we made it over :D )

100_0574.jpg

While walking along a portage, my uncle found this little Brookie trapped in a pool of water

100_0575.jpg

The old boys walked the shoreline and I donned my waders and lined our boat and gear upstream (the bush is way too thick to portage)

100_0576.jpg

100_0577.jpg

My dad taking a break on a beaver dam

100_0578.jpg

Eventually you come to this awesome spot where the water flows over the bedrock into a lake. Trout stack up here and it's an easy spot to fish...

100_0580.jpg

100_0579.jpg

100_0598.jpg

100_0599.jpg

From that point it's a bushwhack into our final destination. Here's my dad geared up and ready to go

100_0582.jpg

This is a tough portage. About 1200m with bush so thick you've got to drag the canoe (no trails either...)

100_0583.jpg

Here's our destination. Beautiful beach campsite overlooking the lake

100_0589.jpg

100_0584.jpg

100_0589.jpg

Eating around the campfire

100_0585.jpg

Here's me along with my uncle cooking up some trout under the tarp. (forgot to mention it was freezing cold the entire time we were there)

100_0586.jpg

100_0587.jpg

My dad never goes anywhere without his brandy and cigars ;)

100_0588.jpg

My uncle landing one

100_0590.jpg

Me with an decent one

100_0591.jpg

My uncle with a stringer of small eaters

100_0592.jpg

My uncle

100_0595.jpg

100_0593.jpg

My dad

100_0594.jpg

Landing another

100_0596.jpg

My favourite cleaning rock

100_0597.jpg

I've posted pic's of this spot before...It's a waterfall you pass on your way in. We usually spend the first night here, but opted to camp here on the way back out. This is one of my favourite pictures.....Absolutely gorgeous spot!

100_0600.jpg

My dad and uncle relaxing at the same spot

100_0601.jpg

Well, that's about it....hope you enjoyed the pic's! B)

Thank's for the kind words guys!

Basskicker,I've got something really incredible lined up for the upcoming season that I'm fairly certain you guys will be interested in.

Not trying to be secretive, or coy ;) , but I'll tell everybody about it when everything gets finalised.