Brenden Morrow, Dallas

Rich Nash, Columbus

Corey Perry, Anaheim

Michael Richards, Philadelphia

Erc Staal, Carolina

Joe Thornton, San Jose

Jonathan Toews, Chicago

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i believe mike fisher should have been on this squad. he's carried an injured and underperforming sens squad on his back... and they still have a respectable record. his personal stats and team stats were better than mike richards. i'm glad regehr and phaneuf were left off although i would have liked to have seen j-bo in there.

shea weber..instead of mike green????...what were they thinking!@

i agree... how do u leave off mike green??!?! and Scott Niedermayer should prolly have been left off, hes having a terrible year. many players deserved to be there over him.

mike green is such a offensive defenceman... imho, he wouldn't be able to handle it....

my only question is pronger.. on such a large ice surface why pick the slowest d'man out there...

then again with all the talent out there.. no pick is really a wrong pick..

Edited by dobee

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

we aren't playing on the large ice surface, we're in canada!

i think mike green missed out because he's an offensive player similar to boyle. and doughty was brought on for PP.

we have to have some solid stay at home guys too!

nieds is there as a leader.

nice to know our nation is so deep, not that its any surprise!

doughty is one of the stroger defensive d men they have on that squad. he has offensive talent as well, but hes a steller d man. no matter where u look, there is another guy that could have filled a position on that team. dion phaneuf should be there. not having the best season either, but when u want a guy that can play in his own end and deliever big hits, hes the guy for the job.

we aren't playing on the large ice surface, we're in canada!

Being in Canada has nothing to do with it. This is the first time ever that Olympic hockey has been played on "NHL-sized" ice, regardless of being in Canada, or North America for that matter.

The sole reason? Not geography, but economics - it would cost too much money to improve the GM place, and they can seat more fans (and sell more tickets) with the smaller surface.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Being in Canada has nothing to do with it. This is the first time ever that Olympic hockey has been played on "NHL-sized" ice, regardless of being in Canada, or North America for that matter.

The sole reason? Not geography, but economics - it would cost too much money to improve the GM place, and they can seat more fans (and sell more tickets) with the smaller surface.

so, because we use smaller ice surfaces in North America/Canada, this has nothing to do with geography?

easy pierre mcguire, i was just puffing out my national pride!

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

I'm as hardcore of a Canadian hockey fan as there is...but...what the hell???????????????????????????????

No Green, St. Louis, Lecavalier, Carter???

Bergeron, Morrow, Staal, Towes, Seabrook......

Are you kidding me?????

I agree with Doughty on the team, because he is about as solid as they come on the blueline defensively speaking.

But wow...no Green. I guess being the defending scoring leader of defensemen in the NHL doesnt matter.

Bergeron over St. Louis/Carter.... WOW

Staal over Lecavalier/Carter.... WOW

Towes over Stamkos/Lecavalier... WOW (just because he scored a couple dandy shootout goals in the world juniors, doesnt mean he deserves to be on the team over those guys)

Seabrook is a fantastic defenseman, but him over Green/Phaneuf is just stupid.

With that lineup.....I don't know if I can see them taking out the Russians. They have an amazingly stacked lineup.

Overall...VERY disappointed in the selections.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
With that lineup.....I don't know if I can see them taking out the Russians. They have an amazingly stacked lineup.

Overall...VERY disappointed in the selections.

I would argue that this team is built to play against the russians. your team sounds like an allstar team, not a well constructed and cohesive hockey team.

It's hockey in Canada, if the team wins gold, all is good. If the team doesn't get gold, they are bums.

'98: Gretzky sits during shoot-out, team loses= wrong decision.

'02: Mario is too old, team wins= right decision.

'06: Sid stays home, team loses= wrong decision

It is a TEAM, you can't just take the 23 best players.

so, because we use smaller ice surfaces in North America/Canada, this has nothing to do with geography?

easy pierre mcguire, i was just puffing out my national pride!

It actually doesn't considering they've used international sized rinks, without exception, for every Olympic games held in North American cities, until now. I'm just pointing out the facts - nothing wrong with some Canadian pride :D

If there's any team I'd be concerned about it's the USA. The Russians and Swedes pick teams based more on politics and domestic loyalties than on skill, hence the reason why each of their teams contain numerous non-NHL players, while unquestionably better NHL players will be sitting at home.

The USA, on the other hand, are young, full of talent, and will be icing the hottest goalie in the NHL right now - Ryan Miller. Their only question mark is their defense, which is suspect compared to Canada's.

Canada is still the odds-on favourte, and anyone who disputes that is just grasping at straws.

Edited by ADB

COMPLETE ROSTER

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur, New Jersey

Marc-Andre Fleury, Pittsburgh

Roberto Luongo, Vancouver

DEFENCEMEN

Dan Boyle, Ottawa

Drew Doughty, Los Angeles

Duncan Keith, Chicago

Scott Niedermayer, Anaheim ©

Chris Pronger, Philadelphia (A)

Brent Seabrook, Chicago

Shea Weber, Nashville

FORWARDS

Patrice Bergeron, Boston

Sidney Crosby, Pittsburgh (A)

Ryan Getzlaf, Anaheim

Dany Heatley, San Jose

Jarome Iginla, Calgary (A)

Patrick Marleau, San Jose

Brenden Morrow, Dallas

Rich Nash, Columbus

Corey Perry, Anaheim

Michael Richards, Philadelphia

Erc Staal, Carolina

Joe Thornton, San Jose

Jonathan Toews, Chicago

Thats the toughest woman's gymnastics team line up I have ever seen.......

Art

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

the russians are full of snipers. it's not politics i'm worried about...it's names like ovechkin, malkin, kovalchuk, datsyk, semin, markov and gonchar. there's nothing "political" about that type of firepower.

the russians are full of snipers. it's not politics i'm worried about...it's names like ovechkin, malkin, kovalchuk, datsyk, semin, markov and gonchar. there's nothing "political" about that type of firepower.

No one can argue with that list, except I wouldn't exactly call Markov and Gonchar "snipers." They're just great offensive defensemen who are liabilities in their own zone. Even Datsyuk has never scored more than 32 goals in a season, while most of the Canadian forwards have.

As great as that team is, they still have guys on there like: Konstantin Korneyev, Ilya Nikulin, Danis Zaripov, and Sergei Zinoviev. That's nearly 20% of their team that aren't good enough to play in the NHL. Not to mention the marginal NHLers/former NHLers on the team like: Fedor Tyutin, Dmitri Kalinin, Viktor Kozlov, and Alexei Morozov.

And it's not like Canada doesn't have snipers...Iginla has won the Rocket Richard twice, Rick Nash has won it once, and Dany Heatley has multiple 50+ goal seasons under his belt.

Russia is a good team, probably an excellent goal-scoring team, with above-average goaltending. But Canada is a complete team, with players who have won at every level. If Canada picked a 2nd team, all of those players who still be better than a portion of the current Russian team.