Just did some Coffee math...

Muskieman

I just did the sums - I have to be honest i am a starbucks guy - dont ask. Thats it im done - I will not do this habit anymore. I just worked out with coffee meetings I probably do easy $2K a year

i can not give up the beer maybe I wil lstart a thread on how to home brew. Here it a buck a bottle (and a bottle is 3 litres)

Good thread and will make me quit

I just recently made a friend aware that his coffee habits were costly. Dont seem like much when you do it every day but when you add them all together, well he just about took a stroke. I make a thermos every morning and bring it for my guys as well. Make my own lunch and very rarely eat out. Raise my own beef and chickens as well. Grew up doing this as well as preserving veggies each season. Cuts down on costs and also gets rid of all those contaminents in grocery store food.

Brew your own and buy her a thermos if she needs several fixes throughout the day. Sure she won't be proud of you but that will only last a dy or two. She will either develop a taste for the money saved or will quit altogether.

The trick to a good cup of coffee is the temperature the maker gets the water up to, 195 to 205 is what I have been told is ideal. Read some reports and reviews of coffee machines and make a decision. Expensive also doesn't mean that the machine works any better that a cheap one.

The brand of coffee I liked was he No Name Columbian as it was cheap and flavourful but the only way I have seen it recently is in a larger package if at all. Otherwise it is what's on sale, Maxwelhouse or Folgers (I think Folgers mountain roast is a little stronger than the classic blend?) I found Folgers stays fresher longer, also don't leave your coffee machine turned on after it has finished. Turn it off and either cool the coffee and nuke it for later drinking or put the remainder in a thermos, keeping it on heat only cooks it.

I just recently made a friend aware that his coffee habits were costly. Dont seem like much when you do it every day but when you add them all together, well he just about took a stroke. I make a thermos every morning and bring it for my guys as well. Make my own lunch and very rarely eat out. Raise my own beef and chickens as well. Grew up doing this as well as preserving veggies each season. Cuts down on costs and also gets rid of all those contaminents in grocery store food.

Hi Smalliefisher....

you mention above that you raise your own chicken and beef.... but your profile say you live in Toronto.

I only know of one farm there... (at the end of Winchester street off Parliament)

I live in London and I am not allowed to have a cow and chickens in my yard... pleeeeze don;t tell me I have to moooove back to Toronto to have a farm... :huh:

I have done the math on my " Timmie's fix" / day....

It's a HELLUVA lot cheaper than the alcohol ( and other non-mentionable) I consumed on a daily basis for a long time.

Don't mess with my FIX... or at least my rationalization....

However,, the original post did mention the incentive of a new boat :huh:

The brand of coffee I liked was he No Name Columbian as it was cheap and flavourful but the only way I have seen it recently is in a larger package if at all. Otherwise it is what's on sale, Maxwelhouse or Folgers (I think Folgers mountain roast is a little stronger than the classic blend?) I found Folgers stays fresher longer, also don't leave your coffee machine turned on after it has finished. Turn it off and either cool the coffee and nuke it for later drinking or put the remainder in a thermos, keeping it on heat only cooks it.

This is exactly what my wife and I have found. Use one of the metal carafe makers now, keeps it warm enough for a long time and nuke it a little if it cools. For coffee, we really have enjoyed the Costco Kirkland Brand 100% Columbian for about 8 years now, you can make it good and strong without it getting bitter, price is quite good as well for a 100% Columbian.

For coffee, we really have enjoyed the Costco Kirkland Brand 100% Columbian for about 8 years now, you can make it good and strong without it getting bitter, price is quite good as well for a 100% Columbian.

Dang !!!...The wife was in Costco yesterday while I waited outside...Didn't know about their 100% Columbian coffee...My favorite type...right now I am enjoying some freshly ground Columbian in a large 16 ounce Starbucks cup that I got in the draw at the Tyler Event last year...Maribeth gave me a 1 lb bag of beans for Christmas and I grind my own and use a Melita No 2 manual filter...heat up 16 ounces of water in the microwave as I'm the only one that drinks coffee here unless Jack (Nanook) drops by on his way home from wood carving...Rarely will I have more than one large cup a day...Don't care much for Timmies...prefer Country Style...Both places would go bankrupt waiting for me... :lol:

Edited by Beans

Hi Smalliefisher....

you mention above that you raise your own chicken and beef.... but your profile say you live in Toronto.

I only know of one farm there... (at the end of Winchester street off Parliament)

I live in London and I am not allowed to have a cow and chickens in my yard... pleeeeze don;t tell me I have to moooove back to Toronto to have a farm... :huh:

Thats to funny,

I wish I could. But Toronto is a small zoo all on its own without having livestock. :lol: I raise them on a farm up north with a friend. We bring all our fish and rabbits,ducks from my parents house each year. Dad brings a frezer with him on a truck. We started doing this a few years back and found it to be way cheaper and the meats are awesome. We now have 4 people in on it so it cuts the cost down each year. There are alot of Farmers willing to do so for you for a cost but will not butcher the meat. We dont buy much stuff in the grocery store.

I'm so glad I started making my own again...

After being parked for 3 years or more that 20 years old clunker still makes good coffee...the Bailey's makes it even better.

I know that it's not even 9 yet , but I'm OFF 'til Sunday @10pm. :clapping::Gonefishing:

coffee.jpg

RFS

:canadian:

I have posted that same findings here in the past. Think about people going on strike to for $50 more a month and it also helps to put it in perspective. Also, remember that you are spending after tax dollars and it takes about a buck forty to earn one of those.

I have quit buying my morning coffee in the school caf this year and it saves me around $35 a month (and that is just one large @ $1.70 per).

Good on ya!

Jim

Thats to funny,

I wish I could. But Toronto is a small zoo all on its own without having livestock. :lol: I raise them on a farm up north with a friend. We bring all our fish and rabbits,ducks from my parents house each year. Dad brings a frezer with him on a truck. We started doing this a few years back and found it to be way cheaper and the meats are awesome. We now have 4 people in on it so it cuts the cost down each year. There are alot of Farmers willing to do so for you for a cost but will not butcher the meat. We dont buy much stuff in the grocery store.

How do u get the cow in the freezer if the farmer won't butcher it :dunno:

For coffee, we really have enjoyed the Costco Kirkland Brand 100% Columbian for about 8 years now, you can make it good and strong without it getting bitter, price is quite good as well for a 100% Columbian.

HaHa, use the same Costco Kirkland but in dark roast.

I remember a few years ago coming back from fishing and stopping at a Timmies and i think they didn't swipe debit cards and i had no cash. I didn't go there anyways but now surely i won't.