Post Christmas Steelhead With An Old Friend ~ Pic's

solopaddler

With Dave (Drifter016) visiting from Yellowknife we were looking to beat the post Christmas blahs with some chrome.

Long before he moved to the arctic we spent many a day together fishing for great lakes steelhead.

It was a nice Christmas present to get reaquainted again and hit the road like we did in the old days.

Joining us was BillM, his enthusiasm always welcome.

Although the temperatures were quite mild (at least milder than the norm) it was a brief 2 hour period in the afternoon when the sun came out that turned the fish on.

I enjoyed a nice little session down near the lake that saw me put a good dozen or so on the bank. Not bad at all for this time of year.

Most all were caught on fresh skein, some kind of scruffy but many were very clean and surprisingly strong.

All in all it was a great day. Very few other anglers were on the river, and enough fish came to hand to make it memorable.

Dec27-2009003.jpg

Dec27-2009004.jpg

Dec27-2009006.jpg

Dec27-2009008.jpg

Dec27-2009010.jpg

dec2709.jpg

dec2709-1.jpg

dec2709-5.jpg

Funny thing, apparantly my rod has some serious mojo attached to it. :)

Both Dave and Bill borrowed the magic stick and instantly caught fish. Billy actually caught 2 LOL!

First Dave (Notice how he not only stole my rod and my fish but also my pose? :lol: )

Dec27-2009015.jpg

Dec27-2009017.jpg

Dec27-2009018.jpg

These pic's of Billy were long distance shots as he hooked the 2 fish right at the 11th hour as we made our way back to the car. (That rod is powerful! :) )

Dec27-2009019.jpg

Dec27-2009021.jpg

Great day boys, looking forward to more of the same tomorrow.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

looks like a nice day. the ice chunk regatta has kept me from venturing out. i haven't put my float stuff into storage, but with the onset of hardwater season, i have a feeling she'll be going away until march real soon.

cool report as always.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Drifter must have thought of it as "Balmy" compared to out west with his jacket wide open and all lol

Yep, she was a nice warm day. ;)

I spent the whole morning with only 2 tee shirts and my wading jacket.

It cooled down a touch in the afternoon so I had to don the sweatshirt. <_<

Not after plucking two fish on the way back to the car with it as he takes pics lol

Mike was in double digits (as usual) for the day, those were my only fish. I was running a wee bit short the entire day, had two on, a few headshakes and they were gone.

Was nice to end the day like that though... And that CTS/RiverKeeper setup? Oh boy... talk about light. My GL3/AngSpec combo in comparison weighs a tonne. I think I see a CTS in my near future...

Nice to see Drifter found a patch of open water. Can't imagine Yellowknife has too many soft water options this time of year... especially ones for steelhead.

Good outing fellas. :D

Yeah, my home water is a little thick right now.

At least until late May!!! :w00t:

But it's easier to drill through when it's like that. :lol: