Canada 16, Latvia 0

lhousesoccer

Just watched the first game of the World Juniors. Canada won 16-0. Shots on goal were something like 70-10. I think I remember reading that in the case of ties in standings, goal differentials are used. But seriously, did we need to embarass Latvia that bad? Maybe Team Canada should have just sat off the ice for the 3rd period and let Latvia take shots on our goalie. The Latvian goalie looked totally exhausted and crushed by the end of the game. I kinda felt sorry for him.

In short, yes, the should have, BUT on a personal note, I really with they'd changes the rules regarding goal differential. Canada's only doing what the rules say they should.

New Years Eve against the US should be a great game.

Also, as much as I love Olympic hockey, the women ALWAYS come down to CAN/USA. Should that be an Olympic sport as well?

Considering these are the only 2 countries that 'really' compete, I don't think so. Leave that for the Worlds, & put those medals up for womens ski jumping.

i love watching the womens hockey. as hockey is actually a sport. unlike a lot of other olympic events... the U.S. win more medals then anyone else, should they sit out the games and let others have a shot at some?

as said, goal differential is the tie breaker, so yes, teams have to run up the score. if canada doesnt, the next team will. we are a hockey powerhouse, we may as well let the world know we're not here to mess around. teams like latvia are gonna get beat up on by some teams, but in the end they will learn. they dont have the players other places have, canada has around 350 000 junior players... latvia has... 1300 or so?? not much to pick from really when u think about it. but, as the sport grows, they will develop more players and eventually become a stronger team.

its not like canada didnt earn the goals. they scored a few weak ones, but the rest were due to smart play and good passing. the latvian goalie should have been player of the game for them, because he made some outstanding saves for them. the score could have been 23-0

teams have to run up the score. if canada doesnt, the next team will. we are a hockey powerhouse, we may as well let the world know we're not here to mess around.

You have a point there. I really think the IIHF should change the rules to some other format, so the good teams don't have to run up the score and embarass the teams that aren't so talented. As you pointed out, I'd hate for Canada to lose out in a tie-breaker, because they exercised some judgement against a hockey-poor country like Latvia and didn't run up the score, but Russia or the US did.

I didn't mean to say that Canada was purposely embarassing Latvia. They were only doing what they had to do. And yes, they were working out the bugs and kinks of their own system in preparation of the US, and Russia or Sweden if it comes to that. All I was saying was that it's kind of embarassing to watch it, when the Latvians are obviously trying so hard, but just can't do anything against us. It must be frustrating for them. Hopefully, as someone else said, hopefully it will make them a better team.

Edited by lhousesoccer

very fair question, i've understood that it is the system's fault (goals for). i've also always played with the understanding that it is more insulting to let up than to smoke the other team. these aren't peewees either, 'feelings' aren't so important in professional/world sports.

our mens league has a travel team that does england, belgium, france and such. this team destroys the local british teams 25-1 regularly and that in front of 2500 people. the canucks tried to let up and the british teams and fans got really angry. they said you're here to play hockey, from the land of hockey, so play hockey.

go team canada

This is not only about not embarrassing teams, this is junior hockey at the highest level on the planet. If a team cannot compete at this level then perhaps they should be relegated as there could be another team ready to play with the best teams in the world.

There should be no letting up by the Canadian Juniors, they should continue to play at their best, asking them to take it easy at this point in the tournament would definitely be a drawback. Anyone who watched the game would have seen that the Canadian boys made their share of mistakes and to improve they have to keep up the intensity and allow the coaching staff to make the group and individual corrections right up to the last game.

The intent was not to embarrass any team and any fan who does not understand this should listen to Don Cherry for a while!

Most of these boys have been drafted by a PROFESSIONAL hockey team and a lot of them will have a career in Hockey.

This is not a house league tournament where they have a "mercy" rule, there is not one in any professional sports league that I know of and there shouldn't be one in sports at this level, is there one in the Olympics.

I'm amazed that anyone would even ask this question!

Edited by Baldy

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i'd be willing to wager that a nation like Latvia is is pretty happy to have been relegated into the tournament. i can't say i enjoyed watching a blowout of this magnitude, but given the tournament format there is no reason to let up.

Canada is a pretty chippy squad this year. I look forward to the game against the yanks.

I do think that running up the score has always been considered poor sportsmanship. If you play baseball and steal a base when your team is up by 10 runs, expect the next guy up to see some chin music.

There is a difference between playing your hardest and making a mockery of the game. This is a result of the plus/minus tie breaker.

But, the teams know the opponents have to keep scoring cause the others do too. Remove the current tie breaking scheme to bring integrity back.

I'd think there'd be less integrity in losing say... 8 to 0 to a team half-arssing it as opposed to 16 - 0 when they're playing at best for 60 minutes. That'd be more of mockery IMO.

Latvia was going to lose regardless of score. Now they know how much harder they will have to work and train to ever fairly compete. Yes, their total beating this round sucks for their pride, but for their future if they want to continue playing World Juniors, it's probably for the best. It's the elite tournament... and if they produce that poorly, then maybe a level down is where they belong.

And for their goalie... 70 shots. He should win a gold just for surviving a shot every 50 some seconds. :clapping:

I think the only integrity here is every player on every team giving his best effort every shift.

Each of these boys is auditioning for future employment in professional hockey every time they step on the ice. There should be no holding back or passing practice to slow down the scoring. The object of the game is to put the puck in the net and it would not do the Latvian boys any good in their development if they don't play against the best opponent out there.

I don't know if anyone has ever played or coached at an elite level but there is quite a difference between recreational and competitive levels of play. I really think that if the Canadian boys held back that the Latvian players would be dishing out some 'chin music' of their own. Holding back at this level is similar to mocking your opponent.

this tournament is the highlight of my year. i love hockey, i watch the nhl... leafs fan... stop laughing... but i find the hockey in this tourney SO much better. and there is one simple reason for it... these kids are playing for their futures and for the pride of the country. u cant always take one game and say we have to change the rules. latvia may win the next few games they play. u all know the saying, on any given sunday, any team can win. sometimes strange things happen. theres always gonna be a powerhouse. look at the old USSR, they were a force and dominated teams. from 1974, when canada started playing in this tourney till 1984, the USSR won 9 of a possible 11 gold medals. canada didnt win their first gold till 1982. then 1993-1997 canada won 5 straight golds... then, landed 8th place the following year.

this tourney is all about pride. pride for the flag on the front, not the name on the back of the jersey

I always hated one sided games like that. If I was coaching the losing team I hated to see my kids get discouraged. If I was coaching the winning team I hated what it did to their egos and discipline. It's almost a sure thing that the winner in a lousy game like that will come out soft against the next tough opponent they meet. I'd rather they'd had the game the US boys had.

As for running the score, they had no choice. One thing, the score may matter later on. Second, they need to keep playing their game or their system will break down for later games. Third, Latvia knows the rules of the tournament going in and they know the score will get run up. It's the only way to learn what they need to do to be competitive. If they can't handle the embarrassment they don't belong at that level obviously. They'll be on their toes for the next game. I just hope the Canucks forget the 1st game before New Years Eve.

JF

I do think that running up the score has always been considered poor sportsmanship. If you play baseball and steal a base when your team is up by 10 runs, expect the next guy up to see some chin music.

There is a difference between playing your hardest and making a mockery of the game. This is a result of the plus/minus tie breaker.

But, the teams know the opponents have to keep scoring cause the others do too. Remove the current tie breaking scheme to bring integrity back.

i can attest to that one!! lol we get some blow outs in my ball league. however, as i believe someone stated, its more embarrassing to lose 8-0 to a team half assing it then a team who plays hard.

in my ball games, i will go easy on a team if they are trying and just getting beat, but when they quit playing and just start half assing it, i will run up the score and embarrass them.