Finnish treats

bigugli

I love that stuff, I think theres some in the freezer still. I did some baking the other day as well, tried my hand at making Luumutortut...the prune tarts. They turned out pretty decent for my first attempt :)

here's a pic of what's left of the 4 dozen we made

777002.jpg

ryan

You did quite well with those. My Gram always cheated and filled them with raspberry or blueberry preserves.

They passed the test with my mom... not quite like Grandma's, but in reality...nothing will be the same as hers were

Ain't that the truth! Nothing like the heavenly aroma of Grandmother's baking. The mix of cardamom, nutmeg and cinnamon that would fill the air in our small home.

Got to have 'pulla' as part of the table dressings. Goes along with the cardamom cookies, gingersnaps and shortbreads and washed down with a nice glass of Lingonberry punch or Peter Heering.

Hyyva Joulua

Peter Heering...I haven't heard that for a looong time, have to look and see if they have it here.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Was the riisipuuri smothered in blueberry sauce?

not this time. at christmas she makes the sauce out of prunes and raisins.

but in summer it's blueberry for sure.

she's very aggressive with her pudding, you better try it, or she gets real offended!

troutologist has sampled her pulla on many a fishing trip morning!

"sit in stomach like rock"

not this time. at christmas she makes the sauce out of prunes and raisins.

but in summer it's blueberry for sure.

she's very aggressive with her pudding, you better try it, or she gets real offended!

troutologist has sampled her pulla on many a fishing trip morning!

"sit in stomach like rock"

Have you two ever had Pulla with vanilla sauce, my mom used to make a yeast cake something like that, but with vanila sauce made from real vanilla beans.

Have you two ever had Pulla with vanilla sauce, my mom used to make a yeast cake something like that, but with vanila sauce made from real vanilla beans.

I've never heard of vanilla sauce, but I'm sure it is scrumptious.

The recipe for pulla is standard to all the scandi and germanic cultures. Only differences are in the spices, shapes and toppings. Pulla, Swedish tea ring, English chelsea bun and Bohemian braid start with the same basic dough.

Edited by bigugli