My 2009 review

Victor

Only 9 days left for the year of 2009 and I heard the tribs close to home are frozen, so I probably won't get another fishing trip in before the year ends. Geez I don't even have fish in my fish tank to toy with <_<

This has been a great year for me, although I didn't catch any monsters, but I did learned a ton, caught some new species, bought many new toys, fished with many good friends and met new ones. Unlike MJL, I suck at writing so I'll just cut the crap and get to the pics :thumbsup_anim:

2009 started off with a number of early, cold, and unsuccessful trips to the eastern tribs ... I decided to mix things up and try my hand at some channel cats. Here's my first ever channel cat that came in @ 11lbs. Love this shot with the sun setting at the background.

IMG_4705.jpg

I did keep on pursuing the steelies and I finally landed my first ever steelhead on the opener, also my first real fish on a centrepin.

IMG_4709.jpg

May - August was my study term in Waterloo so I spent most of my time there. Although I didn't have a car I did manage to get out quite a bit thanks to Marko & Trevor. With them showing me around I caught my first ever Brookie and brown.

IMG_4719.jpg

They're just beautiful.

IMG_4739.jpg

I also caught my smallest pumpkinseed ever, coming in at about 3 inches (yes my hand is small lol)

IMG_4766.jpg

Now, onto the Cyprinus Carpio. My PB was set at 26lbs 5oz 2 years ago and I have been very eager to beat it as 30s aren't that rare especially in hamilton. I couldn't achieve that goal in 09 but I did catch 3 fish that made me VERY happy. I have never caught a mirror carp before and I got 3 this year, with each one growing in size.

First, a baby one.

IMG_4778.jpg

Then, it got alittle bigger at 12lbs.

IMG_4824.jpg

And finally, a fully scaled 16lber.

IMG_4843b.jpg

Here's the biggest of the year for me, @ 23lbs.

untitled.jpg

I did catch some bass too lol.

IMG_4846.jpg

In the fall, I landed my first ever salmon. (mad fun on the centrepin)

P1010735.jpg

I didn't get out quite as much as I'd like to, especially for the salmon + fall crappie/walleye but it was a very productive and memorable year. Those overnighters were certainly unforgettable (intense, and super fun, but not so much when you need to drive home).

To cap it off, I'd like to thank Mike and Randy for being a great fishing buddies as always (giving me rides, advices and catching all my fish), thanks to Marko/Trevor for driving me around and showing me your 'hood', and to everybody who offered me any advices/help. I look forward to meet many more friends, catching more species and setting new PBs in 2010! I wish everybody a Merry Xmas, happy new year, and a fish-ful 2010! Oh and also, thank you to the OFC mods to maintaining this amazing place!

Victor

Edited by Victor

Thanks everyone!

thanks for the report!

how hard did that cat pull?

Unfortunately I was using my carp rod, it did put up a fight but I find that they only go one direction lol!

Nice year in review post Victor, I have yet to get my first mirror carp. Did you catch any mirrors in the Grand river while you were here?

Didn't catch any out of the Grand, but i'm sure they are there...

Do you ice fish?

haven't really give it a serious try but I probably will this winter

Nice recap Victor. :)

I hope 2010 brings you good health and more good fishing. :Gonefishing:

Thanks for the great report Victor.Some great captures there. Come down to the harbour this spring and we'll see if you can get that 30.

Perhaps I could get in on that offer Lorne, Lord knows it's close to home. :)